Property Manager Job Description Example
What Does a Property Manager Do?
A property manager can also be referred to as an estate manager. His/her job description entails operating and managing an assigned estate properly; he/she does this for a fee though.
The manager provides the needed estate or property management services in the event the owner of the said property is unable to manage it personally.
The property manager’s responsibilities include finding tenants for the particular property, evicting tenants when necessary, and generally dealing with other issues related to the tenancy agreement.
His/her main focus is to fulfill the wishes of the property owner.
His/her role may also include collecting rents from tenants, as well as paying all the necessary taxes and expenses.
He/she is expected to give report to the property owner periodically.
The property owner may hand over all duties to the manager or delegate some to him/her while the owner takes up the rest.
All the services rendered by the estate manager are as dictated by the owner. The fees charged by the manager may however require little or no ratification of the property owner.
The work description of the property manager may also involve providing various services, like shipping of goods, storage of foods, house-sitting services, and security monitoring services, especially if the building is only occupied periodically.
Provision of staff on hand, supplies, system operation and various utilities are expected to be overseen by the property manager.
In some instances, the property manager is required to be licensed to ensure professional service delivery.
He/she is expected to act as a go-between for the landlord and the tenant. The benefits and rights of both the landlord and the tenant are expected to be met by the property manager.
However, the landlord or the property owner has supremacy over rights and services rendered to the tenants.
Property Manager Job Description Example
Property managers perform various duties, tasks, and responsibilities to the landlord and the tenants.
Here is property manager job description example showing the functions and daily activities of individuals who work in that role:
- Establish rates at which properties are rented out. He/she does this by carrying out survey of rent rate related to that particular locality. He/she makes final determination of the rate by also calculating the profit goal of the owner, taxes, depreciation, overhead cost, and also fees of property management
- Search for tenants to occupy the property via vacancy advertisement. He/she can also get referrals from tenants already occupying the building. He/she can attract tenants by making public the benefits of the services obtainable in the said property as well as why that location is the best. He/she has to back up his/her claim by showing the prospective tenants a couple of units in the property
- Negotiate lease with tenants
- Collect security deposit from tenants
- Represent the owner by contracting with the tenant
- Pay all required bills, initiate all corrective actions, analyze variances, schedule expenditure on the property, prepare annual budget on maintenance and expected income on the said property and lots more
- Carry out proper maintenance of the property
- Investigate and resolve complaints by tenants
- Enforce all rules related to occupancy
- Inspect all vacant units in the property
- Carry out all necessary repairs and periodic renovation on the property
- Contract snow removal and landscaping services
- Contract maintenance services and supervise repairs
- Contract security services to get the property secured
- Install and also maintain all security devices in the building
- Establish, as well as enforce all precautionary procedures and policies related to the property
- Respond without any delay to emergency situations as relayed by tenants
- Confront violators of standing occupancy rules towards enforcing such rules.
Property Manager Resume Preparation
Are you making a resume for the post of property manager? If yes, then you can make use of the sample job description given above for the role in preparing the work history section of the resume.
This section provides information on job experience to the employer for them to see that you have previously, or are presently working as a property manager, and so will be able to work at the new job effectively if employed.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Property Manager Position
The excel on the job as a property manager, and also to get the needed attention from employers so as to be considered for employment, the following abilities, knowledge, and skills are important qualities to have:
- Be 18 years of age or more
- Possess minimum of college degree
- Possess legal residency permit of the United States
- Be truthful and honest
- Must not have been linked to any crime in the past
- Possess license offered by the relevant authorities in the state of practice
- Possess the Accredited Resident Manager or the Certified Apartment Manager certificate
- Possess ability to properly apply principles related to logical thinking towards defining problems and performing other property management tasks.