Project Architect Job Description Example
What Does a Project Architect Do?
Project architects are responsible for the coordination and management of an architectural project.
Their job description entails overseeing the production of construction plans as well as the development of architectural designs.
Project architects provide clients consultancy services on building code management, zoning and material specifications.
They liaise with project managers to prepare budgets for an architectural project.
They also evaluate shop drawings to make necessary adjustments for sustained quality.
As part of their duties, project architects oversee the design and construction operations to ensure timely and profitable completion.
They maintain up-to-date knowledge of construction and architectural procedures/standards.
They employ this knowledge in the planning, coordination, design and engineering of construction projects.
Their work description also involves reviewing and approving architectural designs and specifications developed by project technical staff.
Project architects in performing their role determine the construction materials and methods necessary for building project.
They produce construction documents which contain information regarding the elevations, floor plans, and general building code requirements.
They also monitor and direct the design team to delegate project duties and ensure feasibility of produced designs.
Usually, project architects contact clients to offer them contract proposals for the management of an architectural project.
They prepare cost estimates for materials purchase, labor and general building requirements.
On small scale projects, they may play the role of a project manager in coordinating the administrative and non-technical aspect of a project.
Project architects are often responsible for signing contracts and sealing construction or payment documents.
They collaborate with engineers, architects, and other construction professionals to design and implement project specifications.
They also ensure compliance with government building codes and housing laws.
Project architects oversee the hiring of contractors and project staff to ensure an effective workforce.
They develop and implement policies necessary for smooth work operations.
They also ensure timely and cost-effective completion of the different stages of a project.
Project architects require a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture, also, at least 8 years of experience as an architect is also required to be considered for the position.
The qualities needed to succeed on the job include communication and management skills, and the ability to work in a team.
Project Architect Job Description Example/Template
If you need to know what the typical job description of a project architect looks like, here is an example that shows the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that form the common work activities of people who work in this role:
- Oversee the development and implementation of architectural designs for a project
- Coordinate the activities of a project design team to ensure timely and cost effective completion of construction
- Contact clients to offer proposals for a project design and construction management
- Provide clients with recommendations on building code requirements, zoning and material specification
- Supervise project design operations to ensure compliance with established specifications and standards
- Sign contracts and seal construction documents and payment applications
- Maintain project quality control by reviewing and making necessary adjustments on shop drawings
- Develop and implement policies for production of construction documents, architectural designs, and procedures for construction
- Carry out cost estimates to determine the budget required for project materials, equipment, and labor
- Handle administrative and non-technical functions while working on small scale projects
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of architectural project procedures and standards
- Motivate and mentor the project design and development team to ensure timely and effective completion of projects
- Prepare, develop, and adjust project models, diagrams alongside a project manager
- Prepare construction documents to contain building code requirements, floor plans, and elevation
- Present periodic reports to clients to update them on the progress of a project.
Project Architect Resume Preparation
If you are making a resume for the project architect job, the above sample job description provides the right information for you to create the work experience part of the resume if you have worked before as a project architect.
By highlighting the functions of the role in your resume’s job experience section, , employers will be able to immediately see that you know what the job entails, and banking on your experience can carry out whatever tasks that will be assigned to you.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Project Architect Job
If you are seeking the project architect job, here are major requirements most employers will expect you to satisfy to be able to access the job:
- Education and Training: To become a project architect, you require a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in architecture. You also require at least 6-8 years of experience as an architect. Projects architects are usually required to pass the Architect Registration Examination in order to obtain license for practice
- Communication Skill: Project architects are able to interact with project managers, clients, and design personnel to identify and achieve project objectives
- Management Skill: They direct and coordinate project design and construction operations to ensure effective and timely completion
- Team work Ability: Project architects are adept at working with a team of project design and technical personnel to achieve a common goal.
Project Architect Skills for Resume
Again, if you are writing a resume for the project architect job, the skills section can be made by adopting information from the above job requirements.
If you have the above requirements, highlighting them in your resume will make it more appealing to employers as they would see that you have the skills to be effective as a project architect.
If you are interested in working as a project architect, knowing the duties they perform will help you to learn more about the job, and to adequately prepare for it.
This post provides in-depth information about what project architects do, and so will be useful to you.
If you are an employer, the sample job description also provided in this post will be useful to you as a template that you can use in making a work description for hiring a project architect and assigning responsibilities to him/her.
Did you find this post helpful in learning about the duties and responsibilities of project architects? Do share your thought about this article in the comment box below.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.