Production Team Leader Job Description Example
Production team leaders are responsible for ensuring that manufacturing of items in a production plant are carried out efficiently and with strict adherence to quality standards.
Their job description includes leading other members of the production department and co-coordinating several activities, including operating machines, production, processing, packaging and sorting.
They also ensure that safety rules and procedures are strictly followed in the production department.
To perform their role effectively, leaders of production teams are expected to have strong leadership skills; they are expected to be able to direct, control, correct and motivate the members of their team to achieve efficiency.
They support and encourage their team members to put in their best. They are also expected to possess in-depth knowledge of all production procedures and know how to use tools and operate machinery.
The team leader for production is also saddled with the responsibility of ensuring that all manufactured products pass quality assurance tests and also that they meet up with the company’s product specifications.
He/she understands that quality is never to be compromised.
Job Description Sample for the Production Team Leader Position
Below is a sample of the production team leader job description, comprising of vital duties, tasks, and responsibilities, which they are usually required to execute, and which can be useful in writing a resume for the position:
- Devise strategies that would help to reduce production costs without compromising the standard of end products
- Work hard-in-hand with the management to plan, budget and control activities of the production department
- Enforce safety rules on their team members to avoid them getting badly injured in cases of accidents and production hazards
- Ensure that all team members wear protective gear during production and monitor all team mates to ensure adherence to instructions
- Liaise with management to ensure that security and safety gadgets are installed and there is an established emergency response procedure in case of accidents and injuries
- Write reports, keep track of expenses, create budgets and plan production goals, schedule and keep track of workers attendance
- Interview and train workers
- Perform regular performance reviews on team members
- Mediate between workers and the management to enhance smooth communication and settle disputes
- Inspect works done by team members to ensure that they meet company standards of good quality
Production Team Leader Resume Preparation
The job description example above provides useful information for preparing the job history section of the resume for seeking the position of the team leader in a production setting.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for the Production Team Leader Position
The following are key skills, knowledge, and abilities expected of the leader of a production team to succeed on the job:
- A production team leader works in a machine-controlled environment therefore, he has to be able to operate, troubleshoot and perform small repairs on machines
- Exhibit great strength and stamina to withstand long hours of working and lifting heavy equipment
- Showcase good leadership and motivation skills to lead different people with different abilities and character traits
- He/she would be expected to know how to communicate efficiently both in oral and written language
- Must be a swift learner and an excellent coach to train their team mates and so would be expected to have excellent problem solving skills to effectively handle the challenges and problems in the production department
- A production team leader must also know how to delegate tasks to other members of his/her team
- He/she would also be expected to understand the importance of time management and be proactive at all times