Mechanical Engineering Technician Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Mechanical Engineering Technician Do?
Mechanical engineering technicians are responsible for the repair, installation, and maintenance of mechanical systems.
They work with mechanical engineers and engineering technologists with a job description that entails implementing action plans for the design and operation of mechanical equipment.
In performing their duties, mech. engineering techs read and interpret drawing plans for proposed equipment fabrication in order to prepare the layout for parts assembly.
They install and maintain industrial equipment such as pumps, motors, and valves. They also service lifts, escalators, and HVAC systems for public companies.
Mechanical engineering technicians play a significant role in the transportation industry.
They conduct repairs on the mechanical parts of automobiles, trains, and their signaling equipment.
They also work at vehicle manufacturing companies where they assist with the design, fabrication, and assembly of auto parts.
As part of their responsibilities, mechanical engineering techs review project instructions and schematics to ensure conformance to established procedure/specification.
They use computer aided design (CAD) software to draw up plans for a mechanical project.
They also discuss with workers changes or modifications in the design, assembly or process of manufacture.
Usually, mechanical technicians carry out tests on equipment or tools to identify areas that require performance improvement.
Their work description also involves assessing construction blueprints to verify they are error free or return for corrections in case of a slip-up.
They also conduct research to come up with initiatives for improved mechanical processes.
These technicians calculate and record results during experiments. They program and run simulations to virtually test the operability of a system.
They also estimate cost of operation, building and maintenance of machine components.
In fulfilling their role, mechanical engineering technicians produce reports of technical operations to supervisors.
They work within set boundaries to achieve operational objectives.
To get into this career requires an Associate’s degree in mechanical engineering technology.
To succeed on the job, some of the qualities needed include eye for details, technical and math skills.
Mechanical Engineering Technician Job Description Example/Template
The job of mechanical engineering technicians entails various functions as they keep mechanical systems running effectively.
Here is a job description example, showing the typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities that make the mechanical technicians’ role vital in an industrial setting:
- Assemble and install mechanical systems for industrial, electromedical, and manufacturing purposes
- Implement cost-effective changes in equipment design to improve reliability and safety
- Assist mechanical engineers in developing, building and maintaining machines and tools
- Read and interpret engineering designs, plans, and diagrams for piping, transmission, and HVAC systems
- Prepare cost and material estimates for a project
- Test and analyze machines, tools, and components to determine their performance, strength and response to stress
- Design manufacturing implements such as jigs, dies, and moulds
- Carry out inspections to identify faults and initiate repair of mechanical systems or products
- Monitor mechanical processes to ensure conformance to standard project procedures
- Use CAD software and technology to prepare drawing plans and design for an engineering project
- Assemble components or machine parts to form integral or complete product unit
- Provide technical solutions to mechanical problems found in a variety of industries
- Develop and design prototypes of equipment
- Ensure compliance with health/safety procedures and regulations
- Implement quality control systems useful in evaluating and testing mechanical processes/product for consistency.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Mechanical Engineering Technician Job
If you are looking to work as a technician in a mechanical setting, here are major requirements you may need to have to be qualified by most employers for the role:
- Education and Training: To become a mechanical engineering technician, you require an Associate’s degree in mechanical engineering technology or in a related field. Relevant certifications from engineering or applied science institutions may also be a plus for the position. About 2 years of supervised practice is required prior to certification
- Eye for details: Mechanical engineering techs are given to precise measurements, specifications, and configuration
- Technical Skill: They are able to operate tools and equipment such as lathes and drills during work operations
- Math Skill: They are proficient in using math calculations to design or repair mechanical systems.
If you need to write a job description for the mechanical engineering technician position for your company, you can easily and quickly create one by applying the sample copy above as a template.
The detailed work description you can make can enable you to attract the best mechanical technicians if you are hiring for the position.
This post also provides useful information to individuals interested in becoming mechanical engineering technicians for them to have in-depth knowledge of what the role entails
Did this article help in increasing your knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of mechanical technicians? Please, share what you think about this post in the box below. We will also love to read about your job description if you work as a mechanical engineering technician.