Makeup Artist Job Description Example
What Does A Makeup Artist Do?
A makeup artist is someone who engages in beautifying individuals like presenters, actors, performers, and other professionals, giving them an almost perfect look to suit their taste, job, and engagement needs.
Their job description involves making use of a variety of beauty tools and techniques to achieve various looks, giving their clients the look they desire.
In this age, the job of a makeup artist has greatly transformed into a full profession with advanced knowledge and technical know-how that were not obtainable hitherto.
With the right skills and kits, a makeup artist has the “power’” to perform miracles with their hands. They transform clients into flawless characters ready for any occasion.
They sort the right items, paying attention to quality, and patronizing only the best manufacturers to get the best products needed to achieve their beauty goals.
To ensure they use the right products that blend with their clients’ personality, makeup artists will collect a variety of products, paying attention to client’s dynamics in complexion and skin tone.
The makeup artist is responsible for helping their clients to realize their beauty dreams.
Before they get to work, they will have a one on one chat with the client, to have a feel of what they want to look like, paying attention to every detail they have in mind.
After taking note of the client’s needs, the artist will give his/her suggestions, informing the client of what will work and what won’t. After both parties have reached a mutual understanding, the makeup artist will get to work, performing their beauty magic on the client’s face.
The role of the makeup artist involves creating a balance between the ‘character” clients are trying to portray at a particular time, making them look believable.
Makeup Artist Job Description Example, Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities of a makeup artist are shown in the following job description example:
- Communicate with clients to get direction on job specification. This includes getting an outline of clients’ needs and following it to give them satisfaction
- Provide clients with a variety of looks, giving them different options to choose from. These include photos, visuals, and model appearances
- Sketch and create design ideas for different hairstyles and makeup. Also, encourage continuity in clients’ hair and facial needs by ensuring that their looks are coherent and in-line with a specific standard set, rather than changing to totally different looks all the time
- Take measures to prevent harmful side effects as a result of using advanced makeup items on clients, to avoid damage
- Put clients’ safety into consideration in the discharge of duties by observing safety procedures and avoiding chemicals that have adverse effect on the skin
- Ensure that all make up applied on clients blend with their skin tone, to make it more believable and fitting, to show expertise on the job
- Acquire more knowledge on makeup by participating in training and workshops to learn latest makeup techniques, with the aim of achieving better results and giving clients more satisfaction
- Source high quality materials and order them from trusted manufacturers to maintain excellence and satisfaction to clients
- Keep an up to date portfolio by taking pictures and making video recordings of jobs done to showcase expertise to clients
Makeup Artist Resume Preparation
When seeking a job as makeup artist, you will need to have a good resume to increase your chances of being called to an interview.
To create the work experience section of your resume, you can use the functions and responsibilities of the position highlighted in the job description sample above.
The professional experience section of the makeup artist resume shows the hiring manager that you have the needed expertise to succeed on the job.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for the Makeup Artist Position
Here are key skills and qualities makeup artists must have to excel in their career, which are also the basic requirements employers usually demand from applicants for the position:
- Must have a natural flare for beauty and its creation
- Possess time management skills to meet up with clients’ schedules
- Ability to pay attention to detail to get clients’ needs
- Possess strong creativity to come up with new looks
- Must have patience to deal with clients complaints
- Must be able to work under pressure
Use of this material: You may use the makeup artist job description sample shown above as a template in making your own job description. You may also copy it and use on websites and other platforms provided we are properly credited and a link back is made to us.
Please, help pass this content around: If you enjoyed our makeup artist job description sample, please help share it with friends on social media, thanks!