Life Coach Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Life Coach Do?
Life coaches are responsible for guiding people that are confused on what to do with their lives; they support the goal-setting, personality growth, and behavior modification of their clients.
The job description of these professionals entails helping people to achieve their goals by suggesting different actions necessary to take control of future plans.
They may work at hospitals, schools, companies, private institutes and government agencies.
Life coaches are skilled at drawing out a person’s wisdom to maximize work or personal potentials.
They help clients bring about and fulfill new behaviors that will lead to successful communication in business or interpersonal relationships.
Life coaches spend quality time with clients to establish goals, lineup priorities, monitor progress, and figure out solutions to set-backs.
They are skilled at getting clients to look inward and identify most important choices or take best decisions.
This means that the majority of life coaches need excellent business and marketing entrepreneurial skills.
A life coach works independently instead of with a team and he/she has to work harder to obtain clients. One of the ways to secure clients is through networking.
The role of life coaches involves meeting with clients in person, on the phone, or in video-chat sessions where they handle business-related concerns, interpersonal relationship issues and issues ranging primarily from poor communication skills of their clients.
After revealing issues and discussing solutions, the life coach puts a plan into place where the client must reach certain goals by their next meeting.
Life coaches support clients to obtain goals which can be anything the client wants to achieve, including things at work, in relationships, and their lifestyle and health.
Their work description also entails helping their clients see how they can get ahead, including identifying and capitalizing on their strengths, and holding the client accountable.
They help maintain a client’s focus towards goal achievement and are responsible for keeping records of clients, which allows one to ensure a match between aspiration and actual performance towards that aspiration.
During these status checks, they evaluate client’s ability with their capacity to execute and also help to adjust the strategic approach as appropriate.
To work in this career requires at least a degree in guidance and counseling program or in other fields such as psychology.
To be effective on the job and succeed in the career, the qualities to have as a life coach include ability to motivate, patience, and having good communication skills.
Life Coach Job Description Example/Template
Life coaches perform various functions in helping people reach their goals and succeed in life.
The job description example below highlights the duties, tasks, and responsibilities typically carried out by life coaches:
- Actively engage with clients in both the center and in the community
- Communicate regularly with educational specialist with plan feedback in order to ensure quality and effective planning
- Use positive communication strategies to motivate clients to work on and reach their goals
- Use variety of strategies to assist clients in understanding and effectively dealing with their own social skills
- Assist clients to implement difficult changes or adjustment in order to meet their goals
- Monitor, evaluate, and collect data on client’s progress and targeted skills
- Record data consistently and accurately in consonance with specific guideline
- Provide encouragement and constructive feedback to all clients
- Engage clients in on-going discussions about their individual goals
- Develop and facilitate life skills sessions and individual programs for youth
- Plan and implement vocational programs and opportunities for youth
- Instruct clients on how to manage everyday tasks to help them gain independence and move forward in life
- Work one-on-one or in small groups to help clients with unique challenges to develop basic life skills
- Fix meetings with clients on a weekly or monthly basis depending on the client’s situation.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Life Coach Job
To work and achieve success as a life coach requires having the following qualities and skills, knowledge, and qualifications:
- Education and Training: To become a life coach requires at least a bachelor’s degree in guidance and counseling or in other relevant fields such as psychology and sociology
- Encouragement: Life coaches have ability to encourage clients on personal development rather than dwelling in the past problems and issues that make them feel irrelevant or a failure
- Communication Skill: They must have an excellent communication skill in order to reach out to their client’s problems
- Confidence: They essentially seek to reinstall an individual’s faltering confidence and ensure they have it within themselves to live up to their potential.
If you are hiring a life coach, the sample job description in this post can help you to create a perfect description for the position to attract the best candidates for the job.
This post is also valuable to individuals aspiring to get into life coaching career. They will be able to increase their knowledge of what life coaches do from the duties and responsibilities of the role highlighted in this post.
Did this article increase your knowledge of the functions of a life coach? Please, leave a comment in the box below. Do also share your job description if you work as a life coach.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.