Layout Artist Job Description Example
What Does a Layout Artist Do?
Have you ever given a thought to who the persons behind the creation of the attractive, innovative, and enticing images that you see daily in your magazines, brochures, books, posters, or websites are?
Well, they are layout artists, they are the ones who puts in artistic vision to deliver such engaging material to their clients.
The layout artist job description entails making structures and layout as per the client need and making certain that every of the details are included in such a format that is enticing and attractive to viewers.
Making effective use of computers is an important part of the artist’s work, which helps him/her to present his/her work in an efficient manner.
A layout artist could sometimes be referred to as the graphic designer. Notwithstanding, there is a little difference between the two.
He/she normally tends to specialize in the arrangement of page with regard to its images and text, while the graphic designer might include his/her own drawings within the project.
The artist usually works for publication houses and is needed to present the requirements in a visually appealing manner by putting the images and text in an applicable format so the reader is not just attracted, but also tempted to reading it.
Nowadays, the work of the layout artist has become much less complicated, as they use a good number of computer software programs to carry out their duties with efficiency and with speed.
When creating layouts, he/she specialized in applying knowledge of various software packages and uses various type-setting techniques to create the specified visual impact.
The primary role of these professionals is to create text and images that are visually enticing to force the reader to joggle through its details.
Layout Artist Job Description Example
Layout artists perform a number of tasks, duties, and responsibilities for the various firms they may work with. Here is an example of a typical job description for the role:
- Meet with clients and find out the requirements for their projects
- Develop concepts that are creative and innovative
- Design sample layouts by applying information related to the layout principles and procedures
- Select applicable font and size, and copy that style and size for the material that is to be illustrated
- Make use of computers to create and concept graphics and layouts for numerous products
- Manage an archive of photographs and images, which can be used for the company’s websites
- Use series of charts, illustrations, graphs, and other relevant designs, and review the final layout and make suggestions to boost it
- Make the required changes if a client approves the suggestion made, and assist in assembling the final layout
- Responsible for developing, structuring, and laying out various components as per customers’ expectations
- Responsible for assessing visual aspects, such as color, type-face, position, and formatting, to be sure that the text and images appear in a visually enticing pattern
- May assist in the creation of templates that will be used by junior artists
Layout Artist Resume Preparation
To effectively search for a new layout artist job, you will need to have a good resume to show to prospective hiring managers or employers.
To help in writing the resume, the work description provided above contains information about the functions of a layout artist, which is appropriate in making certain sections of the resume, including the job history section.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Layout Artist Job
Here are important skills, and other attributes that individuals aiming to work as layout artists must develop to stand a chance of being considered for the job by most employers:
- The individual desiring to succeed in this field must be able to think creatively and make use of innovative concepts to create original and attractive materials
- He/she must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- He/she must be able to pay strong attention to detail and have enormous knowledge of the publication industry
- He/she must have the desire to update him/herself with the latest design trends, and must be able to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize them based on urgency levels
To take up a career as a layout artist, one has to complete an associate’s degree in graphic arts or in other art related fields.
An extra course in design, layout, typography, drawing, color, or computer technology might also be preferred.
People who have some previous internship experience have higher chances of being selected for the job.
The graphic artist on a project must be flexible, as he/she may have to increase his/her working time beyond the normal business hours in order to meet the project’s deadline.