Landscape Architect Job Description Example
What Does a Landscape Architect Do?
Landscape architects are responsible for designing, planning, and structuring of public surroundings to create an organized and artistic environment.
Their job description involves designing of public places such as parks, schools, gardens, and city centers.
They carry out survey of project sites to determine the size and nature of construction to be carried out.
They usually collaborate with civil engineers, clients, and building architects to establish project requirements and construction goals.
Landscape architects specify the cost estimates, materials, and construction plans required for outdoor beautification.
As part of their duties, they create graphical designs and 3D model of proposed structures using computer aided design software or by manual drafting.
They have the discretion of selecting suitable materials for an open space design and also assess project sites to identify limiting factors such as soil, buildings, and topography.
Landscape architects work around government regulations on environment and public safety when carrying out an outdoor design.
They ensure a project design meets the requirement of the client. As part of their work description they consider the opinion of residents and individuals living within proposed project vicinity to identify the best approach towards a public design.
They visit construction sites to oversee building operations to ensure the set design is implemented.
Landscape architects in seeking new contracts will prepare proposals and deliver presentations to clients, highlighting their design proficiency and interest in a job.
Their role also entails maintaining contact with clients to give them updates on the progress of a project as well as discuss possible adjustments that can be made.
As part of their tasks, they supervise the activities of landscape contractors to ensure adherence to set standards and plans.
They occasionally participate in workshops and seminars to update their knowledge, as well as remain abreast of trends in landscape architecture.
Landscape architect job typically requires a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in architecture. It also requires licensure obtainable after passing the Landscape Architect Registration Examination.
The qualities you need for excellent performance on the job include creativity, problem-solving, communication, and technical skills.
Landscape Architect Job Description Example
Landscape architects perform important functions in the construction industry. The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that make their everyday work activities are shown in the job description example below:
- Carry out a survey of project site to determine the nature of construction
- Liaise with construction professionals such as civil engineers and building architects to establish project requirements
- Specify the cost estimates, materials, and labor required for outdoor structures
- Create graphical designs and 3D models for a proposed environmental project using CAD tools or hand drafting methods
- Select choice materials suitable for public/outdoor organizational and beautification purposes
- Conduct assessment of environmental factors such as soil, topography, and congestion levels, and how they impact aim of project
- Maintain government standards on public safety and environment in carrying out job operation
- Obtain information on the public view of a project and its impact on people living within the locality
- Visit construction sites to oversee work operations and ensure timely completion
- Prepare proposals and deliver presentations to convince clients to offer them design contracts
- Maintain contact with clients to give them status updates of projects as well as solutions to possible issues
- Supervise the activities of landscape contractors to ensure they adhere to project plan and design
- Participate in workshops and conferences to stay abreast with current trend and development in landscape architecture.
Landscape Architect Resume Preparation
Are you preparing a resume to use in seeking a landscape architect job? If you are, then the sample job description provided above will help you in creating the work experience part of it.
The job experience part of your resume is where you need to show the employer that you have the required experience to work as a landscape architect.
With content from the above work description, you can highlight the major duties that you carried out in your previous place of employment as a landscape architect.
Since employers generally love to hire applicants with work experience, having a section in your resume for job experience will make it more appealing to recruiters.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Landscape Architect Job
Here is a list of some of the major qualities and skills employers usually require from applicants seeking employment as a landscape architect:
- Education and Training: To become a landscape architect, you require a Bachelor’s degree in architecture. A Master’s degree gives you a competitive edge over others. Practicing as a licensed landscape architect requires completing a supervised internship and passing the Landscape Architect Registration Examination. Regular training may also be required to keep license.
- Creative Skills: Landscape architects are adept at producing artistic outdoor designs that make public environment pleasant
- Communication Skills: Landscape architects are able to deliver effective presentations to bid for contracts. They are also skilled in interacting with clients to identify project requirements
- Technical Skills: Landscape architects possess the technical inclination to use computer aided design tools in the design of outdoor projects.
Landscape Architect Skills for Resume
Again, if you are making a landscape architect resume, then the above required qualities can serve as a useful reference in completing the skills section of the resume to gain the attention of potential employers.
Whether you are a job seeker or an employer, having a good knowledge of the landscape architect duties and responsibilities will be of great benefit to you.
As someone seeking the job of a landscape architect, you will be more prepared for the responsibilities that you will face if you have read its job description beforehand.
And for employers needing to recruit the best landscape architect that they can find, the job description template for the role shown above can help you in designing a good one for your recruitment process.
What do you think about our job description for the landscape architect role? Please make your comment in the box below; you may also share your landscape architect experience if you have worked in that position before.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.