Kroger Grocery Clerk Job Description Example
What Does a Kroger Grocery Clerk Do?
Kroger is one of the leading grocery stores comprising of numerous departments. As such the services of grocery clerks are needed to ensure the smooth operation of each department.
The grocery clerk, like most employees at Kroger has a wide range of functions in his/her job description to perform on a daily basis.
However, the primary job responsibilities of a grocery clerk at Kroger include assisting in the offloading and packing of inbound items, sweeping and cleaning the floor, cleaning and dusting the shelves, and helping customers to get the best shopping experience at the store.
At busy times, he/she may also be asked to assist other employees.
Now, let’s go into the finer details of this job:
At Kroger, grocery clerks are relied on to perform almost all duties. Therefore, exceptional multitasking ability is a must have.
It is the duty of the clerk to ensure that grocery area is well-maintained.
The role of the clerk also entails assisting customers with their shopping at the store.
To do this, he/she is expected to assist customers in locating products on the shelves, provide them with needed information about products, and assist them to pickup of items from the shelves.
It is also the duty of the grocery clerk at Kroger to stock the various shelves with products.
In doing this, he/she is expected to display new products on the appropriate shelves, replace bought items, change damaged or expired products, and also change the labels on products at the appropriate time.
Grocery clerks at Kroger are equally in charge of inventory control. They take stock of goods in the store room when it is running low on items.
It is equally the responsibility of the clerk to assist in introducing customers to newly introduced products and put on promotion.
When customers place order over the phone, it is the duty of the grocery clerk to ensure that the products are picked, packaged, and delivered.
In all, the store clerk is a jack-of-all-trade. It is also part of his/her work description to ensure that the store operates effectively by performing multiple functions and assisting workers, irrespective of their job function, to create good shopping experience for Kroger customers.
Being a role that combines numerous functions, the grocery clerk must be good at multitasking.
A high school certificate is enough to land this job, however, to succeed, the clerk is expected to possess more than that.
Aside being able to multitask, the clerk is also expected to be calm and slow to anger to be able to manage all kinds of customers.
He/she should have no problem working flexible shifts. Particularly, Kroger grocery stores are busiest during evening hours and weekends. So, the clerk should be ready to work night and weekend shifts.
Whether a customer returns back to the shop or not depends on the experience he/she received on shopping the first time. Therefore, being the one that maintains constant contact with customers, the grocery clerk must be an individual with high level customer orientation.
He/she must be able to keep customers happy from the moment they enter the shop to the time they exit.
Other important qualities a grocery clerk should have to succeed at Kroger are summarized below under the skills and competence section. So, read down.
Kroger Grocery Clerk Job Description Example
The work of a grocery clerk at Kroger entails several duties, tasks, and responsibilities, which are listed in the job description example below.
- Ensure that inbound shipment is properly offloaded and packed to avoid damage
- Assist in sweeping and cleaning the grocery area to ensure neat and tidy shopping environment
- Assist customers in locating products on different shelves
- Provide customers with product information and assist them in making buying decisions
- Ensure that the products on the shelves are neat and attractively displayed
- Perform promotion functions by telling customers of newly introduced products and those on special promotion
- Stock the shelves with new products, replace bought products, and remove/replace damaged or expired ones
- Report any case of product damage or product return to the store manager on duty
- Label products and boxes and change the labels when there is change in prices or during promotion
- Perform inventory control and inform procurement manager of low inventory
- Assist other grocery workers in ensuring good shopping experience for the shoppers. For instance, act as a bagger/cashier when necessary to make checking of prices, bagging of products, and checkout faster for the customer.
Kroger Grocery Clerk Resume Preparation
When preparing a resume for the grocery clerk position, an important section to include is the job experience section, which provides information on previous work activities you have performed as a clerk in a grocery store.
If you need help making this section for your resume, the sample grocery clerk job description above provides the right statements you can adopt.
Requirements – Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge – for Kroger Grocery Clerk Role
The requirements for grocery clerk position at Kroger vary from shop to shop, depending on the location of the shop and special needs.
However, there are general qualifications, skills, and qualities expected of every grocery clerk at Kroger irrespective of their location.
Here are the major ones:
- To be considered for the role of a grocery clerk at Kroger, a high school diploma is necessary. A higher qualification may also be a plus and will allow you to gain promotion quickly to other higher positions
- Exceptional customer service orientation is the second most important requirement. The role is all about making sure that customers are satisfied. So, it takes a high level of customer service skill to live up to this responsibility
- The clerk must have great multitasking ability and must have no problem working flexible shifts, especially night and weekend shifts
- Other necessary skills to have are excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The clerk must also be energetic
- A good math skill is also necessary as the clerk is expected to engage in counting and cashiering duties.
Kroger Grocery Clerk Skills for Resume
To make your grocery clerk resume effective, you also need to have a competence section where you highlight relevant skills and qualities that you have that will allow you to excel as a grocery clerk in any store.
The qualities shown above are worth developing and using in your competence section; they will give a boost to your resume as they are what most hirers require for considering applicants for the job.
How did you find our Kroger grocery clerk job description? Is it useful to you? Please leave a comment in the box below. And if you have some experience working as a grocery clerk at Kroger or any other store, do also share it.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.