IT Support Manager Job Description Example
What Does an IT Support Manager Do?
The information technology ( IT) support manager is responsible for the management and control of an organization’s IT assets.
His/her job description entails maintaining the list of assigned equipment.
He/she manages the organization’s software needs, including carrying out installation of necessary software, as well as the safe protection of the IT base of the company by installing necessary protection tools, such as the Anti-virus software and other software needs.
The manager’s role is to ensure that all necessary mechanisms and inventories are in place for the smooth running of the organization’s system.
Most establishments employ IT support managers to handle the challenges that may occur relating to IT in their organizations.
The use of information technology at work place has made day-to-day work activities in organizations very easy, it enables data that would have taken thousands of pages in books to be saved to be kept safer with the help of computers.
It has also made the processing of data and sending of information a breeze, unlike what it used to be before the advent of information technology.
The need for an IT manager to coordinate the use of this technology at work place cannot be overemphasized.
Despite the benefits associated with the use of IT, there are also dangers in its use, which should not be taken lightly. Therefore, an IT support manager is needed to avoid the dangers that may result in the use of IT.
Also the connections, networking, test running, and troubleshooting of an organization’s system from time to time needs the routine effort of an IT support manager.
The manager’s work description also includes managing and controlling an organization’s Internet or Information Technologies components.
His/her duties involve carrying out installation, test running, and maintenance of IT equipment.
Other tasks they perform include networking, troubleshooting, and driving of the company’s IT equipment.
The manager’s role also entails recruiting, developing, and provision of mentorship to other IT staff.
He/she also offers training to member of other departments within an organization for the quick and convenient understanding of the use of
IT equipment, and offers professional help in fixing malfunctioning equipment.
The IT support manager is also responsible for all data system backups and management of company’s electronic mail account, making necessary efforts to ensure that mails and information therein are protected and safe.
He/she manages company’s software and phone system and sometimes performs the integration of the two systems.
The maintenance and installation of network lines and phones, routers, modems, and other equipment are also functions of the IT support manager.
IT Support Manager Job Description Example
Here is a list of tasks, duties, and responsibilities that usually make the job description of people who work as IT support managers in many organizations:
- Responsible for the management of the company’s Internet and information technologies (IT) assets
- Maintenance of all information technology equipment
- Manage the company’s system firewall protection applications or software
- Make mechanism for the protection of the company’s system
- Hire, develop, mentor, and train the IT staff
- Account for backup of systems and all data
- Offer training to staff of the organization and its clients
- Responsible for the management of the organization’s email accounts
- Make effort for effective safety protocols
- Make recommendations for the improvement of the company’s IT department
- Maintain right working attitude with other IT staff
- Respond to clients’ questions on IT
- Handle the organization’s hosting information
- Continuously seek improvement of the IT sections
- Stay informed of development in the IT world
- Network computers in various departments when needed
- Responsible for the installation and configuration of software on computer systems
- Handle diagnosis and troubleshooting of computers to discover and solve hardware and software faults
- Handle logging of queries for both customers and employees
- Responsible for analyzing call log to discover trending matters and issues.
IT Support Manager Resume Preparation
To write a resume for the IT support manager’s job, the sample job description presented above provides suitable information in preparing the work history section of the resume.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for IT Support Manager Job
The success of individuals who work as support managers in IT environment can be enhanced by developing the following skills and qualities:
- Degree in IT and System Technology field or its equivalent
- Experience in heading IT section of an organization
- Ability to attend to detail and respond swiftly to work demand
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to identify and resolve issues regarding IT in a manner that is timely
- Proficiency in Internet Languages, i.e., PHP, Linux, Apache, MySQL, and others
- Proficiency in management of people and team development
- Ability to stay connected with the reality and updates on IT
- Proficiency in gathering and analyzing information
- Passionate about technologies.