Hospital Housekeeper Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Hospital Housekeeper Do?
A hospital housekeeper is a person who works in a hospital or other health facility to maintain a sterile environment in and around such facility.
Their job description entails maintaining cleanliness and a germ-free environment in facilities that are constantly exposed to the spread of germs and diseases, such as hospitals.
The role of a housekeeper is so important in a hospital that no hospital facility can do without them.
They are involved in cleaning of emergency rooms, waiting rooms, handrails, offices of administrative staff, and the restrooms.
They are also responsible for making patients’ beds in hospital wards.
A hospital housekeeper is responsible for properly storing housekeeping equipment and/or materials like brushes, brooms, disinfectants, rags, and hand gloves.
He/she is also responsible for maintaining an inventory of cleaning materials like brooms, disinfectants, toilet rolls, etc.
His/her work description also involves making reports on equipment or facilities like the floor and walls of hospital wards, rusty beds, and windows that need replacement.
He/she is effectively responsible for distributing clean towels and bed sheets to patients.
The housekeeper is also responsible for ensuring that standard precautions of safety in a health facility are strictly complied with. He/she is detailed to ensure that cleaning chemicals are used as prescribed.
He/she is constantly briefed to ensure that storage rooms for medical supplies are always in a clean state, and to ensure that the medical facility never runs out of housekeeping materials like soaps and paper.
Hospital Housekeeper Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The hospital housekeeper performs various functions in ensuring that a hospital or other healthcare facility is free from germs.
Some of the duties, tasks, and responsibilities commonly carried out by these workers are shown in the job description example below:
- Respond to emergencies in relation to cleaning hospital environment
- Clean and wipe windows, floors, etc.
- Dispose of wastes in wastebaskets as well as clean the wastebaskets
- Appropriately dispose of medical waste products like syringes, hand gloves, face mask, sachets of tablets, etc.
- Dust furniture as well as equipment
- Collect dirty clothes for appropriate washing
- Iron the water-washed cloth and appropriately distribute water-washed cloth to patients
- Wipeout blood or other body fluids and then disinfect the area of contact
- Use various types of cleaning equipment, like vacuum cleaners, washing machines, etc.
- Document the procedure involved in the disposal of hospital waste products, and ensure that the right procedure in line with the standard practice of the hospital, is followed.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For a Hospital Housekeeper Role
Are you applying for the job of a housekeeper in a hospital? If you are, then here are typical requirements most employers may want you to meet to be eligible for an interview:
- Good organizational skills as well as strong hygienic practice
- Mathematical skills needed to mix cleaning agents appropriately in accordance with the prescription of the manufacturer
- The ability to take the initiative
- Knowledge of the process of sterilizing equipment
- Proven ability and/or inclination to follow instructions
- Ability to maintain a positive disposition at all times
- The ability to work under exposure to dust
- An understanding of the English language
- A certificate proving completion of high school is necessary
- The ability to maintain an open mind to the acquisition of new skills and knowledge while on the job, especially the use of chemicals and understanding of basic safety procedures
- The ability to take the initiative where and when necessary that is leadership skill
- Effective interpersonal skill
- The ability to communicate effectively in writing
- Problem-solving skill
- Ability to work as part of a team
- The ability to be punctual always
- Basic understanding of how to carry out plumbing and electrical repairs.
A hospital housekeeper is a professional who ensures that the hospital is well kept, organized, and hygienic.
If you are thinking of hiring for the hospital housekeeper position, the sample job description, as well as the information contained in this post is valuable to you in making a good description of the job.
By creating a detailed description for the hospital housekeeping role, interested candidates will be able to self-screen themselves, leaving only the best qualified ones to respond to the offer.
This post is also useful to individuals looking to get into the housekeeping career. They will know the duties and responsibilities commonly assigned to hospital housekeepers, and will be able to make up their minds if they want to do the job or not.
Did this post help improve your knowledge of what hospital housekeepers do in a health facility? Please, leave your thought in the comment box below. And if you work as a housekeeper in a hospital, please share your job description too.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.