Home Care Scheduler Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Home Care Scheduler Do?
A home care scheduler, who can also be referred to as a home care coordinator, is usually an individual that is responsible for organizing the delivery and administration of health and personal care services that are provided by persons who take care of sick or injured people.
Home care scheduler work for government agencies, hospitals, home healthcare provider agencies, and retirement centers.
In their line of duty, they may assess the level of care that each patient or client requires and organize the schedules of home care aides and in some cases also interview clients or patients.
Home Care Scheduler Job Description Example/Template
A home care scheduler carries out various functions in making sure that home health care aides that are tasked with the provision of care carry out their various functions efficiently. They also make sure that patients’ needs are met appropriately and adequately.
The job description example below shows typical tasks, duties, and responsibilities usually assigned to persons who work as home care schedulers in most organizations:
- Create and maintain schedules for home healthcare aides (staff)
- Arrange or organize schedules for clients and/or patients in line with healthcare plans and availability of healthcare personnel that will attend to them (patients)
- Perform maintenance of all statistics and reports that have to do with both staff and patients
- Responsible for properly entering client and staff information into a database, and also updating it on a regular basis
- Carry out management of the information databases that contain details of both staff and clients
- Reach out to health care providers or personnel and clients with regards to changes in schedule that may come up on a daily basis
- Build professional relationship(s) with clients so as to ensure excellent service delivery
- Participate in activities or programs that help enhance the quality of service that is being rendered by the organization’s staff
- Ensure scheduling systems are properly maintained. That is, ensure accuracy of scheduling systems
- Show respect for patients/clients by maintaining confidentiality
- Keep the team manager updated as regards conflict in schedules.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Home Care Scheduler Role
When hiring for the role of home care scheduler, most employers will expect you to meet the following requirements and qualification before you can be considered for an interview appointment:
- Must possess excellent communication skills on all fronts
- Must have good interpersonal skills. That is to say, the home care scheduler must be a people-person and easy to approach
- Must be able to multi-task and also display an incredible level of flexibility
- Must possess the ability to prioritize in the face of multiple tasks and/or duties
- He/she should have a good knowledge and understanding of customer care ethics
- Must possess good coordination and analytical abilities
- Must be someone that has a keen eye for details so as to be able to avoid and/or rectify conflicting schedules
- Must have excellent leadership qualities
- Must attend team and staff meetings as required
- Must be able to work effectively as part of a team or even lead a team if the need arises
- Ability to manage time and schedules effectively is very important
- Must be familiar with database and payroll software programs
- A minimum of a high school diploma
- A post-secondary school degree in a health-related field would be an advantage
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in a home care capacity
- Experience in a customer service role or healthcare management position would be of added advantage
- Must have basic knowledge of computer programs.
If you are an employer in the process of recruiting for the home care scheduler job, you will need to publish a detailed description of the available position for interested individuals to know if they qualify for the role or not.
Publishing a comprehensive work description for the position can significantly improve your chances of attracting the best candidates for the job to send in their application.
This post presents sample job description, consisting of common duties and responsibilities of home care schedulers, that can assist you in creating an effective description for the role in your company.
You will also find this article helpful if you are someone looking to get into the home care scheduling career. You will be able to learn a lot about what the role entails, and so will be able to decide if it’s the career you want to get into.
Did this post help to increase your knowledge of what home care schedulers do? Please, share what you think about this article in the comment box below. And if you work as a home care scheduler, do also share your job description, we will appreciate it.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.