Healthcare Manager Job Description Example
What Does a Healthcare Manager Do?
Healthcare managers are tasked with the responsibility of overseeing the general operations and business aspect of a hospital or medical facility.
Their job description entails planning and coordinating a healthcare organization’s finances, accounts, budget, and various other business practices to ensure a sustainable healthcare establishment.
Healthcare managers perform diverse managerial and clerical duties in ensuring a clinic’s objective is in agreement with its available budget, revenue, and business regulations.
They liaise with medical practitioners and nurses to ensure delivery of consistent high quality healthcare to patients.
They also conduct analysis of healthcare organizations to determine their financial status and make necessary adjustments for improvement.
Healthcare managers are responsible for the hiring and training of a hospital’s clerical and administrative staff.
They assign and schedule tasks for general medical/administrative staff, and also monitor them to ensure effective performance of job duties.
Healthcare managers usually develop action plans for ensuring smooth work operations in medical facilities.
As part of their role, they oversee the maintenance and repair of hospital utilities and equipment.
They also ensure adherence to all government policies and regulations on healthcare management.
They are responsible for the purchase and procurement of medical supplies and equipment.
They design and analyze a work process to ensure efficient and smooth operations, and also prepare and manage a clinic’s budget to achieve set targets and objectives.
Healthcare managers often act as a medical organization’s public relation representative to deliver press statements or field questions from reporters on behalf of a healthcare facility.
As part of their work description, healthcare managers utilize information technology systems in maintaining accurate record of patient profile and information.
They employ information obtained from financial assessment to proffer professional financial recommendation to management.
They conduct negotiations with vendors, suppliers, and contractors to secure best deals for a healthcare organization.
They are also responsible for sourcing and directing the flow of funds to finance medical projects.
The healthcare manager job requires a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in public health, business administration, or public administration.
Some of the qualities necessary for success in this job include leadership, interpersonal, and planning skills.
Healthcare Manager Job Description Example/Template
If you are looking to hire someone for the role of a healthcare manager, here is a job description example you can use; it shows the typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities that make up the daily work activities of individuals who hold the position in most firms:
- Collaborate with physicians, nurses, and other hospital professional staff to establish standards for running a medical/health facility
- Oversee the hiring, orienting, and training of hospital staff
- Ensure compliance with all external and internal health laws, policies, and procedures
- Oversee the preparation and management of budgets, as well as the fixing of rates/changes for health services
- Design and implement processes necessary for smooth work operations
- Ensure proper storage and maintenance of patients medical records
- Oversee the performance and quality of service/product provided by contractors, suppliers or vendors
- Carry out inspections to determine the operational condition of clinical utilities and equipment
- Schedule and oversee the repair and maintenance of medical equipment and devices
- Oversee the cleaning and upkeep of healthcare facility premises and environs
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of a healthcare establishment activities and operations in order to take effective decisions
- Oversee the purchase and replacement of medical equipment and stock
- Direct the finances of healthcare facilities by regulating expenditure and managing generated revenue to ensure solvency
- Assign and schedule work tasks for medical and administrative staff in a healthcare organization
- Analyze the financial status of a company to proffer recommendations to management on steps necessary for improved finances
- Develop and implement strategies for quality assessment of treatment services and general operations.
Healthcare Manager Resume Preparation
Are you applying for the job of a healthcare manager? If you are, then you will need to prepare a resume, which should have a section to highlight your experience on the job.
You can apply the functions of a healthcare manager provided in the sample job description above in creating your work experience.
By stating the duties and responsibilities you handled in your previous healthcare manager job in the work experience section of your resume, it becomes stronger in convincing employers of your capability to effectively do the job.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Healthcare Manager Role
If you are seeking the job of a healthcare manager, the following are the major requirements recruiters will likely ask you to fulfill to be considered for employment:
- Education and Training: To become a healthcare manager, you are expected to have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Public health, public administration, or business administration. Also needful for the position is experience in management and business. You can obtain an MBA degree with specialization in healthcare management to increase job prospects
- Leadership Skills: Healthcare managers are well versed in coordinating and directing the activities of clinical staff to ensure smooth operations
- Interpersonal Skills: They are able to work with medical professionals, administrative staff, and contractors to achieve set objectives
- Planning Skills: They are skilled in organizing general operations in a health or medical facility.
Healthcare Managers Skills for Resume
The skills section is a part you need to include in your healthcare manager resume, to show employers that you have the relevant skills to excel on the job.
To help you make this section effective, you may acquire the above stated requirements for the job, and then emphasize them in your resume.
When employers see that you have the required qualities for the job, it becomes easier for you to get invited to an interview where you will have the opportunity to convince them to hire you.
The healthcare manager job description provides detailed functions of the position to help you learn about what the career entails, and to prepare adequately for it if that is the job you want to do.
Also, employers planning to recruit the best person for the healthcare manager job can apply the job description template given above in designing one for their firm for use in hiring and assigning tasks to the successful candidate.
Did this post help you in learning about what healthcare managers do? Please leave a comment in the box below. And if you have been a healthcare manager, do also share your work experience with us.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.