Event Planning Coordinator Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an Event Planning Coordinator Do?
Also known as events Specialists, event planning coordinators are responsible for the effective and efficient planning of events, such as weddings, colloquiums, international events like the United Nations General Assembly, etc.
Their job description entails not just planning events, but also ensuring that events are executed to perfection.
Their role is to ensure that events run smoothly from start to finish without any hitch, and they are expected to handle any issue that may arise in the course of the events.
Event planning coordinators may work on their own or for hotels and/or planning companies.
They plan the layout of the venue of the event in order to ensure compliance with fire service and other regulations and the taste/prescription of the client(s).
They are also responsible for ensuring event venues are spotlessly cleaned immediately the event is over.
The event planning coordinator work description also involves foreseeing and preparing for various unexpected situations.
He/she is also detailed to handle guest list and ensure the comfort of guests.
In addition, His/her duties may also include helping guests (where necessary) to secure the best accommodation facility, and planning and executing the expected needs of the event.
The event planning coordinator is equally responsible for the publicity of the event. Where necessary; he/she may be involved in raising funds for the event, including negotiating with sponsors.
He/she may be assigned the responsibility to ensure adequate provision of good quality food for guests and to liaise with guest speakers on their availability for the events and securing their attendance.
The coordinator is assigned the duty of planning for adequate and effective waste disposal at the venue of the event, and is often responsible for liaising with contractors who have been assigned one duty or the other in relation to the event.
Event Planning Coordinator Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The functions of an event planning coordinator cut across a number of duties, tasks, and responsibilities. These are shown in the job description example below:
- Prepares budget for events and ensures strict compliance with the budget
- Liaises with clients in order to find out the needs for their events and keep them up-to-date on its progress
- Secures event’s venue
- Secures the services of entertainers (musicians, dancers, etc.)
- Creates financial report on the events for both the management and clients’ use
- Prepares for all logistics necessary for events e.g. the registration of attendees, gift presentations, etc.
- Keeps a list of equipment necessary for events, e.g. computers, speakers, backdrop, chairs, tables, etc.
- Collaborates with the marketing team to develop the best marketing strategy for clients’ events taking into consideration the purpose and venue of the events, and also the budget
- Delegates responsibilities like ushering, protocol, to team members
- Ensures restroom facilities are available at the event venue.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For Event Planning Coordinator Role
If you seeking the position of the event planning coordinator in an organization, you should be prepared to meet the following requirements to be considered for the role by the majority of employers:
- Strong ability to effectively perform on various tasks
- Possession of a degree in Events Planning, Hotel or Hospitality Management, Advertising, or Marketing is considered a plus by employers
- Strong ability to work efficiently under pressure
- Strong ability to communicate both in writing and orally
- Ability to work effectively with other members of a team and to provide quality leadership to the team
- Strong ability to work with Microsoft Office applications together with various other technological tools for planning events
- Strong ability to schedule tasks and carry them out efficiently within the set time
- Strong listening skills to be able to understand clients’ needs and meet them
- Strong negotiation skills to be able to secure a great deal for clients
- Excellent interpersonal skills to be able to relate effectively with all stakeholders to an event
- Proven excellent ability to pay attention to details so as to ensure events go hitch-free
- Strong ability to predict problems and design appropriate solutions for them before they occur
- Strong ability to solve problems quickly in a calm demeanor.
This sample job description provided in this post will assist hiring managers, hiring teams, headhunters, talent finders, employers, and other human resource personnel who are recruiting for the event planning coordinator position and need to make a good description for it.
The ability to create a detailed event planning coordinator job description that captures the employer’s needs for the position is important to be able to attract the best suited individuals for the position.
The information in this post and the sample job description will help you in making the ideal description for the event planning coordinator position in your organization.
Also, if you are someone interested in becoming an event planning coordinator, this post will be useful to you in understanding what the career entails so that you can make better decisions about it.
Did you find this article beneficial in understanding what event planning coordinators do? Please, leave a comment of what you think about this post in the box below. You can also share your job description if you have the role of an event planning coordinator in your organization.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.