Electrical Maintenance Engineer Job Description Example
An electrical maintenance engineer is someone who is responsible for repairing machines and providing support when it comes to usage of machines and electrical components.
The key duties that make up the job description of such engineers revolve around installation of electrical components, machines and gadgets; maintenance of such machines as well as troubleshooting and repairs whenever there is a breakdown.
Electrical maintenance engineers can work in diverse roles and in various industries from construction to manufacturing, service, tourism and the energy industry.
Due to the nature and importance of the job, an electrical maintenance engineer may be required to work shifts and put in long working hours.
To qualify as an electrical maintenance engineer, a person would be required to undergo a course and obtain a degree in electrical engineering or enroll for training and trade certification programs.
An Example of an Electrical Maintenance Engineer’s Job Description
The key duties and responsibilities of electrical maintenance engineers in an organization, which majorly make up their job description includes the following examples:
- Schedule and undertake periodic maintenance on all electrical equipment, components, and installations
- Provide prompt response to inquiries whenever there is a breakdown, and resolve the issue as quickly as possible
- Ensure that equipments are in good working order so as to prevent disruption of activities
- Installation of fresh electrical components and fittings
- Recommend replacement for old or faulty electrical components or fittings to the management
- Assist in forecasting requirements, creating a budget and scheduling expenses for the electrical department
- Keep record of all stock and supplies, including company’s electrical equipment
- Working in collaboration with the production team to formulate the best cost-effective manufacturing process
- Perform energy audit and recommend alternative sources of energy
- Help the organization to reduce energy costs
- Ensure that all electrical gadgets and instruments are switched off after close of work daily
- Fix and maintain lighting fixtures and fittings
- Troubleshoot machine breakdowns and provide preventive maintenance services
- Learn new skills and attend training programs in other to increase knowledge of trends and best practices in the industry
- Provide safe working environment for members of staff, and ensure electricity induced accidents and mishaps are prevented
- Take steps to prevent fire outbreaks by making appropriate recommendations to management
- Purchase electrical fittings and components or supervise the staff charged with the responsibility
- Provide 24 hours a day maintenance services or assign technical staff to do so
- Supervise electrical works when new projects are undertaken
- Support the company in increasing profitability by managing resources efficiently and making necessary recommendations.
The above job description sample can be useful in making a resume for seeking the electrical maintenance engineer post.
Requirement – Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills for the Electrical Maintenance Engineer Position
A person who wants to build a career and succeed as an electrical engineer specializing in maintenance must be someone with the following skills, abilities, and knowledge base, which will enable him/her to be effective on the job:
- Ability to comprehend and adhere to health and safety regulations and standards
- Ability to anticipate problems and quickly find solutions to them
- Ability to analyze situations and provide prompt solutions to challenges
- Someone who can generate innovative ideas and techniques easily
- A person who can single-handedly and efficiently perform electrical installation jobs
- Someone who can supervise junior technicians and possesses a team spirit
- A person who can quickly adapt to changes and learn new skills and techniques.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.