Department Store Sales Associate Job Description Example
The job description of the department store sales associate involves finding solution to customers’ complaints in a satisfactory manner.
He/she will specifically offer customers important information about products in areas such as a product’s warranty features, as well as any unique discount the product has to offer.
These sales personnel are located in departmental shops where they assist customers in locating hard-to-find products, answer queries, and eventually get a customer to buy a product.
They also utilize cash registers to organize transactions; and are obligated to track all cash in it.
The sales associate’s other roles in a department store include maintaining outstanding customer relations and arranging products and sales, as well as offering a hospitable environment for employees and customers.
Conventionally, the store sales associate will track the sales floor and resolve whether to update shelves, render assistance to customers in locating specific product or check inventories.
The individual for this post will also prepare the department store by organizing store department exhibitions; and must be conversant with competition and trends.
Most departmental store sales associates are engaged indoors, but the applicant for this post may find him/herself working outdoors and at times in awful weather depending on the product.
It may also be required of the sales associate to come to work at the store during weekends, holidays and night shifts especially at festive or busy periods.
It is therefore essential that the candidate for this post be knowledgeable about marketing strategies and promotional offers which may enhance the department store.
Job Description Example for the Department Store Sales Associate Position
Below is an example of job description for the position of sales associate in a department store, containing key duties, tasks, and responsibilities, which they are usually expected to carry out.
- Ascertain the provision of outstanding service to customers to intensify productivity
- Provide support in organizing cost effective transactions to generate additional sales
- Act as a resource for providing knowledge on products to personnel and to all customers
- Aid in the preparation and actualization of precise physical inventory
- Help in organizing products from stock locations to sales store
- Adhere to departmental store sales principles and guidelines
- Impose and maintain displays, lighting, and signs
- Request and communicate product feedback from customers and staff members to the unit leader
- Abide by procedures and policies guiding the operation of the store
- Make him/herself available at training sessions on product so as to enable him/her gain knowledge on details of each product available
- Work harmoniously with other staff members such as those engaged in other product brands
- Place sales via point of sale system and efficiently keep track of them as necessary
- Organize a record of customers to be able to communicate with them at occasions of special sales or other events.
The above job description sample can also be used in writing a resume for the position.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for the position of Department Store Sales Associate
Employers will prefer most candidates for the post of department store sales associate to possess the following practical skills and qualifications:
- Outstanding practical experience in a retail and customer service oriented environment
- Excellent knowledge of relating with clients and associates in a positive, professional and polite way
- Exceptionally conversant with the use of fax machines, telephone, copiers, CCTV surveillance system as well as computers
- Proficiency with the use of Lotus Notes, Ms Word and Excel in addition to accurate understanding of UPC information and price tag
- Commendable customer service skills with exceptional planning and organizational dexterity at all levels.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.