Dental Nurse Job Description Example
What Does a Dental Nurse Do?
Dental nurses are healthcare workers whose major role is to assist dentists in carrying out different kinds of oral-care procedures.
Their job description entails preparing instruments to be used during treatment procedures, recording medical information, and ensuring that patients are comfortable.
They also help while working in general practice to carry out administrative duties such as answering phones, booking appointments, taking payments, meeting with patients and reassuring them, as well as handling paper work.
A qualified dental nurse can work in several establishments, including hospitals, general practice, community dental service centers, and with the military and police.
Working as a dental nurse and gaining adequate experience can provide the opportunity to becoming an oral health practitioner, such as a dental hygienist or dental (or orthodontic) therapist.
To be able to perform the role of a dental nurse effectively with your patients well satisfied, you will need to have a calm and reassuring attitude to your patients.
You will need to realize that most patients that need your service are hurting and are in need of immediate solution to their problems. You will be making it worse for them by being irritable or insensitive.
Some of your patients will be children and people with special needs, so you need to be able to relate with them cordially.
Dental nurses usually start work by 9 in the morning and close by 5pm, Mondays through Fridays.
However, some organizations open in the evenings and weekends. There is also the possibility for a part-time opening in some offices.
Due to having close contact with patients, dental nurses are prone to contacting infections from patients whom they treat.
To protect themselves from being infected, they must wear a uniform and surgical gloves, and sometimes they also need to wear a mask and safety glasses.
Dental Nurse Job Description Example
Shown in the job description example below are key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that mostly make up the job description of dental nurses:
- Open and close the surgery daily
- Adhere to health and safety protocols as well as cross-infection to the highest standard
- Ensure all dental instruments are correctly decontaminated
- Set up for every patient
- Provide the Dentist with the correct instruments and equipment
- Serve as an assistant to the Dentist during treatment by passing relevant equipment and instruments to him, in the same vein retracting and aspirating if necessary
- Mix and prepare materials
- Write patient notes efficiently and correctly as dictated by the Dentist
- Monitor patients from the entering the room, during treatment and after the surgery
- Offer reassurance and support to patients
- Carry out stock control
- Greet patients and check them in
- Answer the phone and deal with patient enquiries
- Book appointments
- Take payment
- Liaise with laboratories and referral hospitals/practices.
Dental Nurse Resume Preparation
A resume can be prepared for the position of dental nurse by using information from the job description sample given above.
The information can be used in making the professional history segment of the resume.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for the Position of Dental Nurse
Dental nurses are usually required to possess the following traits, which are relevant for their effectiveness on the job:
- High level of manual dexterity
- You must be good with your hands
- Good eyesight
- Good physical health
- Friendly and sympathetic approach
- Confident and reassuring attitude
- Ability to relate well with different kind of people.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.