Data Warehouse Analyst Job Description Example
Working under general supervision, the Data Warehouse Analyst’s job description entails creating new data warehouses, as well as ensuring that existing reporting solutions are functioning properly.
Data warehouse analysts are involved in all aspects of data warehouse development, and in the design and development of business solutions.
The duties for this position include designing and development of Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) processes for data warehouses, gathering requirements, and designing data bases.
Other tasks they perform include testing and documentation, and dimensional modeling.
The role of this analyst in a data management or business intelligence team also includes reviewing and ensuring that data loaded into the data warehouse is accurate.
He/she will participate in the troubleshooting and tweaking of current data warehouse applications to spot and correct errors.
His or her tasks also involve assisting in developing, maintaining, and supporting an enterprise’s data warehouse system, as well as related data marts.
He/she will also be involved in developing new or improved data warehouse components.
The data warehouse analyst’s work is usually reviewed and approved by highly experienced developers, senior managers, and business analysts to ensure everything is in the right place.
Data Warehouse Analyst Job Description Example
Here is an example of job description for the post of data warehouse analyst. The list below shows key tasks, duties, and responsibilities a data warehouse analyst may be required to perform by majority of employers needing their service.
- Responsible for designing, building, and supporting the components of data warehouse, such as ETL processes, databases, reports, and reporting environments
- Designs dimensional models with conformed dimensions, following the business’ processes
- Develops and automates ETL processes that involves error and reconciliation handling, utilizing Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Utilizes SAP Business Objects in designing and building the reporting environment
- Writes reports, adds new fields, creates Business Objects filters, measures and objects; and creates dashboards to improve current data warehouse
- Creates processes for maintaining or/and capturing metadata
- Studies and understands the company’s business processes and applications, including their effect on data and reporting, and applies the knowledge gained in designing data warehouses and reports
- Identifies and documents all requirements for both fresh and current data warehouse components and reports by working with end users
- Creates Business Objects reports and assists clients with data warehouse
- Performs capacity planning, supporting, troubleshooting, and ETL performance modification
- Assembles performance statistics, analyzes them, and makes recommendations for improvements
- Establishes system documentation and ensures it is continually sustained.
Preparing a Resume for Data Warehouse Analyst:
A resume provides a good opportunity to show that you have the competence and experience to excel on the job.
The above sample job description gives the duties, tasks, and responsibilities usually performed by data warehouse analysts. This information can be employed in writing a resume for the position.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for the Data Warehouse Analyst Post
The following is a list of attributes and qualifications usually required by prospective employers when hiring for the position of data warehouse analyst.
They have been proven to help holders of the position to succeed on the job.
- Possess a Computer Science first degree or a degree from other related field
- Possess not less than five years work experience supporting and developing data warehouses
- Experience creating metadata, developing ETL processes, and using several reporting tools; and performing data cleansing functions
- Five or more years experience working with SAP Business Objects, Microsoft SQL Server, and SQL Server Integration Service (SSIS)
- Strong knowledge of the fundamentals of data warehouse, and experience supporting and developing data warehouses
- Proficient working independently and in a team setting
- Possess excellent skill in communicating in writing and speaking with clients, senior managers, and staff.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.