Data Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Data Manager Do?
A data manager is an individual that carries out the responsibility of collecting, maintaining, and analyzing data following an organization’s management plans and procedures.
The data manager job description entails determining the kind/nature of data to be collected and the resources to be used in collecting them.
It also involves analyzing and making use of the information in helping an organization carrying out its laid-out business plans.
The manager also makes sure that every employee of the organization knows and understands to a reasonable extent how to make use of the data collected.
The role of a data manager also entails interpreting information gotten from compiled data and reporting back their findings to the relevant authorities.
It also involves suggesting solutions (in the situation whereby their findings are detrimental to the well-being of the organization).
In a situation whereby the data manager is not the person gathering the required data, he/she would have to participate in the training of persons that will do the collection, so as to give them specifics of what is needed and ensure that the quality of data being collected is in line with what is needed.
He/she also develops a data collection methodology that best suits the nature of data to be collected.
The manager prepares reports on a regular basis which are distributed to different departments of the organization.
This is done in order to keep every key department/section of the organization/company abreast with latest findings, and to propose ways of going forward.
The data manager work description also involves holding meetings and/or conferences where he/she breaks down the information gathered to enable every employee understand what is at stake and what is going on at all times within the organization.
In the case of an organization that has branches spread across the country, the manager’s duties may also involve holding of periodic meetings with other data managers from the organization’s other branches, to discuss findings, seek solutions (in the case of problems arising), and decide on ways forward.
These kinds of meetings help in streamlining of activities throughout the entire organization.
The manager must ensure at all times to upgrade already existing systems/methods of data analysis and management.
To be effective on the job, he/she must make use of software and Internet applications to deal with issues regarding maintenance and performance.
The data manager’ description may also involve developing databases and providing adequate training to employees to improve the quality of their work.
Data Manager Job Description Example/Template
Data managers perform various functions as they strive to provide valuable information to their organizations.
The job description example below shows major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the data manager role in most organizations:
- Determine the kind of data to be collected and identify the resources with which to effectively collect them
- Organize, implement, and enforce correct data collection policies and methods
- Give proper training to employees to be able to perform data collection independently and effectively
- Ensure the proper functioning of data collection software and Internet applications at all times
- Develop data collection methods that are individually relevant to any project being embarked upon by the organization
- Make sure that data collection procedures are in line with all relevant rules and guidelines
- Establish standards upon which collection of data are based/measured and ensure that these standards are always met
- Interpret and explain complex data to employees so as to carry everybody along and for purposes of clarity/verification
- Formulate/develop special reports upon request
- Conduct analysis to ensure that data collected is adequate and matches what was asked for.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Data Manager Role
If you are looking to work as a data manager in an organization, here are major requirements, including skills, knowledge, and qualifications that you may be asked to meet to be called for an interview:
- Must possess good numerical and analytical skills. This is necessary for the daily analysis and evaluation of data
- Must have good communication and interpersonal skills
- Must demonstrate good management and leadership traits at all times
- Must be willing and able to work in a team, as either a member of a team or the leader of the team
- Display of good research and organizational abilities
- Must be able to think critically (out of the box) and also be able to pay complete attention to details
- Must be self-motivated, goal-oriented, and be able to display excellent customer service skills
- Must have good IT skills (including data evaluation/analysis using relevant computer application)
- Must have knowledge of working business standards that are relevant to the industry in which the organization operates
- Must be able to accomplish assignments/tasks with little or no supervision
- A Bachelor’s degree in any of data management analysis, computer science, computer engineering, statistics, or other IT-related field
- Msc. in any of the aforementioned fields of study would be an added advantage
- A minimum of 3 years post-school working experience as a data manager/analyst in a reputable organization.
Are you an employer hiring for the job of a data manager and need a good work description for the role? If you are, then you can apply the tips and sample job description provided in this post in making one for your organization.
The detailed information about the duties and responsibilities of data managers shared in this post will help you to create a comprehensive description for the position that can help in getting the best candidates for the job offering.
Job seekers interested in the data management career will also find this post valuable as they can learn so much about what data managers do, and so will be able to make informed decision about proceeding with the career.
Did your knowledge of what data managers do improve from reading this post? Do share your thought of this article in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as a data manager in your company.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.