Data Center Engineer Job Description Example
What Does a Data Center Engineer Do?
Data center engineers are responsible for designing, setting up, and managing information/network systems at data centers.
Their job description entails monitoring systems operations and administering IT solutions to ensure servers, hard drives, and other data center equipment function efficiently.
It also involves the maintenance of HVAC and electrical systems at a data center.
Data center engineers inspect power/cooling systems to identify and fix flaws that may be detrimental to network performance.
They also maintain and conduct repairs on the physical structure that houses data center equipment.
As part of their duties, the engineers monitor and evaluate servers contained in a data center.
They calibrate them and perform backups to ensure standard performance and preservation of useful data.
They also perform data center renovations to ensure an energy efficient system.
The role of data center engineers also usually involves installing, configuring and maintaining routers, firewalls and virtual private networks.
They manage network device alarms and perform basic troubleshooting to diagnose and repair network hardware systems.
Their work description also entails resolving software problems on all Windows/UNIX systems.
They carry out accounts and systems administration by managing user accounts/network file share rights, resetting passwords, and maintaining various operating systems.
They review and oversee the deployment of software patches and updates.
They also carry out performance-tuning operations on data center storage systems to ensure high level of data quality, availability, and security.
In fulfilling their role, engineers collaborate with the departmental heads of an organization such as the sales and marketing managers to develop and implement strategies for improved data center operations.
Evaluating, designing, and recommending choice network adapters, backup solutions, and network systems are also part of the data center engineer description.
To work as an engineer in a data center requires a degree in computer systems engineering, electronic engineering, or a degree in a related course.
Some of the qualities you need to be effective in this position include analytical, team-work, and time management skills.
Data Center Engineer Job Description Example/Template
Data center engineer performs various important functions to keep the center running smoothly.
Below is a job description example that details the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the role in most organizations:
- Monitor, diagnose, and resolve complex network and computer system issues
- Manage and administer servers, networks, and applications such as DNS, FTP, and Web
- Maintain internal network structure of a data center by managing routers and keeping them running
- Install, configure, and maintain switches, servers, firewalls, and hard drives
- Troubleshoot network systems to identify and fix performance issues
- Provide solutions to complex problems on the integration of various technologies
- Design plans as well as lead initiatives for the optimization and restructuring of network architecture
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of network administration and firmware integration
- Monitor the environmental conditions of a data center to ensure they are optimum for servers, routers, and other devices
- Perform system repairs and update software/operating systems
- Calibrate and monitor data center servers to ensure efficient performance
- Collaborate with IT handlers, sales, and data center managers to develop action plan for improved operations
- Conduct inspections on power and cooling systems to ensure they are operational and efficient
- Organize the floor space that harbor data center equipment to allow for easy accessibility
- Resolve operational, infrastructure or hardware incidents in a data center.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Data Center Engineer Job
If you are interested in the job of a data center engineer, the under listed are major requirements most employers will want you to meet to qualify for the role:
- Education and Training: To become a data center engineer, you require a Bachelor’s degree in any of computer science, computer systems engineering, electronic engineering and other related disciplines. Certifications from IT companies such as Microsoft and Cisco Technologies will increase your job prospects
- Analytical Skill: Engineers at data centers are adept at conducting tests to identify faults in server hardware and network systems
- Teamwork Skill: They are able to work with data center support and sales managers to ensure smooth work operations
- Time management Skill: They are able to effectively complete job tasks within set time constraints.
If you are making a job description for the data center engineer role in your company, you can apply the sample copy given in this post.
It will enable you to create a comprehensive work description that can attract the best candidates to your company if you are hiring for the position.
The complete information of what engineers at data centers do provided in this post is also useful to individuals who are looking to get into the career.
Having a detailed knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of data center engineers will help them to be well-prepared for the job.
Did this post improve your knowledge of what data center engineers do? Please, leave a comment of what you think about this post in the box below. We will also appreciate if you shared your work activities as a data center engineer at your company, if you are one.