Data Analyst Job Description Sample
What Does a Data Analyst Do?
A data analyst is a person who specializes in collecting, sorting, and studying business data in a given organization for interpretation and analysis.
While the job description of a data analyst varies from one establishment to another, it basically entails given a general interpretation and analysis to information for understanding on an equal level for comparison.
The role of data analysts is to organize and simplify numeric information.
He/she tactfully identifies ways to assign numerical values to completely different business data, and is liable for locating deficiencies and potentials.
As an analyst, he/she sorts for information on logistics, market research, expenditures, etc, and identifies ways in which the collected or gathered information can be harnessed or worked on in a manner that is beneficial to the organization.
It’s the responsibility of data analysts to gather information on staff performances, and arrive at a general standard for assessment of their individual contributions.
While these activities might vary, having a fixed value for assessment enables them to compare workers’ performances over a given period of time.
Charged with interpreting data, the data analyst plays advisory roles to business managers and executives, explaining to them why business figures are the way they are at a given time, and suggests ways for improvement.
This responsibility goes in line with research. A good analyst studies the business activities to enable him/her come up with written summaries in form of charts and tables for easier understanding of business owners.
In this digital age, the duties performed by data analysts are carried out with the assistance of computers and other digital software programs.
Thus, they must make it a priority to be up to date with latest trends in computer programming, to be able to fit in and execute their tasks effectively.
Job Description Sample for a Data Analyst
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually make up the work activities of most data analysts are shown in the sample job description below:
- Document structure of company business data which serves as a guide in execution of tasks.
- Evaluate business data to identify their different characteristics and locate their similarities to find ways they can be integrated for better results.
- Design comprehensive data reports and other business tools to assist business managers and executives in making good business decisions.
- Carryout statistical analysis of all business data from the company.
- Carryout audit on data in a bid to tackle customer base business related issues.
- Interact with company staff and customers to have good knowledge of the business as this helps in the data analysis.
- Handle client related issues and work with both business managers and supervisors in facilitating deliverables.
- Arrange and evaluate client payment records and assess payment issues in a timely manner, and resolve issues that might arise.
- Coordinate tools for process management and ensure that cycle guidelines are adhered to.
- Arrange anomalies of consumption and identify errors in data and take measures to resolve them.
The above job description example can also be utilized in making a resume for the position, particularly the employment history section of the resume.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for the Data Analyst Position
Data analysts are usually required to possess the following qualities – skills, knowledge and abilities to be effective on the job:
- Good analytical skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Good presentation skills.
- Good knowledge of computing.
- Ability to make decisions.
- Ability to pay attention to detail.