Dancer Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Dancer Do?
Dancers are performers who use body movements to express an idea or story. Their job description entails using gestures and body language to portray a situation or concept usually with musical accompaniment.
Dancers specialize in one or more genres which can either be ballet, street dance, contemporary dance, or African or Asian dance to mention but a few.
They usually perform live on stage during musical productions such as opera, balls or concerts.
Their role also involves performing in television programs, music videos, or in movies.
As part of their responsibilities, dancers spend time learning and rehearsing dance moves in preparation for a performance.
They create, study, and interpret choreography to determine gestures that best communicate a concept, and also collaborate with singers and actors to deliver a round performance.
Dancers employ the use of costumes and choreography equipment to create eye-catching appearances.
They evaluate dance routine to ensure it’s physiologically healthy and safe.
They can also work with dance instructors who design and modify choreography as necessary.
In fulfilling their work description, dancers audition for a role in a show or for a job with an entertainment company.
They may teach dancing classes, work as part time choreographers or lead community workshops, and usually go on tours with other performers to dance during concerts.
Dancers in performing their duties carry out studies to identify emerging genres of dance and to modify dance routines as necessary.
They choose musical accompaniment most suitable for a dance routine, and also maintain a healthy lifestyle required to accomplish dance moves.
Taking cues from music to adjust routine to rhythm, learning complex dances, and attending promotional events such as photography sessions, is also part of the description of dancers.
To get into the dancer career requires formal training in the university or relevant institution which offers dance programs.
Some of the qualities you need to develop to succeed in this career include persistence, stamina, and creativity.
Dancer Job Description Example/Template
Dancers perform various functions in carrying out their job description.
The following are common duties, tasks, and responsibilities that make up the work activities of most dancers:
- Choose dance styles according to physical capability and genre inclinations
- Work with choreographers who modify and refine dance steps accordingly
- Take cues form musical accompaniments to adjust dance moves to music rhythm
- Exercise and train to maintain or improve physical fitness, ability and endurance
- Monitor the dance industry to identify current trends and developments in choreography
- Perform classical, contemporary or acrobatic dance during filming productions or stage entertainment
- Ensure dance moves are in sync with other dancers when working with a group
- Organize workshops to train dance students on performance techniques
- Go on tour with a band and other performers to deliver during a stage show
- Practice dance routines several hours a day in preparation for a performance
- Develop dance moves to express an idea, concept or emotion
- Select music most suitable for a dance routine
- Attend auditions to secure a job or a role in a movie or music production
- Deliver performance during musical productions such as opera, ball and concerts
- Use costumes and equipment to render glamorous performance
- Engage in self-promotion to advertise dancing skills and abilities.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Dancer Job
If you are looking to work as a dancer, the following are major requirements you may be expected to have to qualify for the job by most hirers:
- Education and Training: To become a dancer, you require several years of formal training in a university or performing arts college. There, you are educated on modern dance techniques such as ballet, jazz, hip-hop, and other dance forms. To advance into choreography, dance administration or journalism, you require several years of experience as a professional dancer
- Persistence: Dancers are able to commit to several years of regular practice to develop or perfect a dance style
- Stamina: They maintain physical fitness which allows them to rehearse for long hours without getting tired
- Creativity: They are able to express ideas, emotions, and concepts through body movement and gestures.
If you are an employer and you need to make a work description for use in hiring for the dancer position in your company, this post provides a sample copy you can apply to quickly make one.
You can create a complete dancer job description that can aid your ability to attract the best candidates to your job offer.
This post also provides useful information about what dancers do for individuals who are interested in the career to know what duties and responsibilities they may be assigned.
Did this post help you to understand what dancers do? Please, share your thought in the comment box below. You may also share your job description if you work as a dancer for other readers to learn from.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.