Customer Service Manager Skills to be Best on the Job
You need to have certain skills and qualities to be effective as a customer service manager.
This post shares fifteen skills and qualities that can help you to perform at your best as a manager of customer service.
Before we check them out, let’s see …
Who is a Customer Service Manager?
A customer service manager leads and motivates a team of staff to make sure they render the best customer service.
Customer service managers perform various duties, which include helping to build good customer relations, arranging staff meetings, training and development, arranging promotional events, and sorting security issues. See detailed customer service manager job description.
They work in different environments, operating customer service management job for both individuals and organizations.
Now, to be effective on the job, here are fifteen skills and qualities you can develop and leverage on:
1. Communication Skills: Effective customer service management involves vivid communication to lessen misinterpretations and misconceptions, and improve customer satisfaction. Proper grammar is required in the use of email, chat, and IM. Customer service managers need the ability to express their thoughts clearly, listen attentively, and respond appropriately.
2. Leadership Skills: Being in control of the team requires team motivation and guideline to make sure they abide by all company policies and procedures. A good customer service manager coaches and trains their team to always have respect for customers and carry out their requests.
3. Interpersonal Skills: Working well with people is part of effective customer service management. Therefore, customer service managers must learn to control their anger, avoid jealousy and frustration so as not to allow these get to customers. They must also manage conflict well, identify the needs, and viewpoints of others, and be able to build very strong relationships with others.
4. Time Management Skills: A customer service manager should have limited time frame to spend with a customer. He/she should make sure that the customer is provided with whatever he/she needs in an effective and satisfactory way. Instead of spending too much time with a customer when you don’t know how to solve his/her problem, the best thing to do is to refer the customer to someone else who is capable.
5. Innovation Skills: A customer service manager with good innovation skills can easily improve in his field. With this great skill of innovation, the customer support in terms of voice calls and emails are mostly enhanced and enriched for both the employees and the customers.
6. Patience: Sometimes, the customer might be so angry or confused that he/she does not know who a friend is. It is only patience that can help you stay calm, even in difficult situations.
7. Persuasion Skills: A customer service manager must be persuasive enough to convince customers who might just want to get information about the company’s product. With mastery of persuasion, customers would hardly slip away. The skill helps to create a compelling message that can entice customers into purchasing the company’s product.
8. Problem Solving Skills: The customer service manager’s main concern and desire should be to solve the customers’ problems. How right your questions sound determines effectiveness of solution.
9. Professionalism: Customer service managers need to be professional in their comportment and speech. This helps them in building a very strong relationship with their customers. The customers will have positive thoughts and feelings about the company and their products when they see a professional attitude in the team members.
10. Attention to Details: Customer service managers with good listening skills can easily pay attention to the customer to understand what they are actually saying. Listening skills and attention to details go hand-in-hand, and they help in building a strong customer service team.
11. Critical Thinking Skills: Customers hate to be snubbed just because of a simple question intended to be answered with ease. The critical thinking skills enable the customer service manager and his/her team to approach work with the mentality of appeasing customers and solving their problems.
12. Compassion: The customer service management is a vocation that requires the practice of compassion at work, and this brings a greater sense of purpose and dedication. Though associated with empathy, compassion is actually a different skill that helps relieve someone of their suffering.
13. Positive Thinking: Customer service managers should be positive in their thinking, and ready to bring solutions. With this skill, they are more likely to satisfy the needs of every customer.
14. Empathy: It is empathy that makes you to feel the customer’s pain and look for a way to solve their problem. A great product would reduce pain and give relief to the agonized customer. The soft skill of empathy plays a very big role in the job of a customer service manager if properly applied to win the heart of a valued customer.
15. Good Listening Skills: Without good listening ability, a customer service manager cannot communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. The manager is able to collect all important information for him/her to make efficient decision, if he/she can listen well to every side of a situation. This will help to build a very strong relationship between the customer service manager and customers.
If you are a customer service manager, developing the above skills and qualities will help you to be best on your job.
An employer who desires to hire a good person for the position of customer service manager can make the above skills important requirements for candidates for the position to meet to access the job.
Did you find the above skills useful in becoming a good customer service manager? Please leave a comment about this post in the box below. If you have other skills and qualities that have helped you succeed as a customer service manager, please share them too.