Cocktail Server Job Description Sample
What Does a Cocktail Server Do?
Cocktail servers work in nightclubs and bars by serving beverages to customers. Their job description entails taking complete inventory of the bar cum work areas.
It also involves greeting and welcoming customers, introducing self and informing customers about special drinks.
Cocktail waitresses as they are also called clean the work areas during the shift in order to maintain an organized workspace, replenish garnishments and supplies.
They clean the workstations at the end of their shift and prepare for the next shift.
Servers need to be familiar with different types of alcoholic beverages and are to organize different orders.
This job requires individuals to walk and stand for long periods, as well as carry heavy trays of drinks, which can be physically hectic.
Cocktail servers usually start their shifts before the doors of the nightclubs are open to the public. They usually work with bar staff in order to ensure that drink mixes, work areas are stocked with glasses.
Their role in the bar also includes taking drink orders, and may also suggest cocktails to patrons or answer questions relating to drinks.
While a good memory is needed, many servers write down drink orders to ensure accuracy.
Writing out orders also ensures you serve the right drink to the right person at each table. Most times, you take drink orders from different tables at the same time, so keeping a note of the number of drinks taken is important when it comes to the bill.
As a cocktail server, you would keep an eye on your customers to provide them with proper service. You will need to watch for signals in case they need more drinks.
You might also need to remove empty glasses and take additional orders as well as ask customers if they’re satisfied.
You may, as the case may be, need to take note for age identification and be sure that customers are not drinking too much.
Other important responsibilities include maintaining a neat service area and keeping tables clean and dry.
They also remove glasses, wipe and clean the area when customers leave a table, and prepare it for the next group of people.
Cocktail Server Job Description Sample
Here is a job description sample for the job of cocktail server. It highlights major duties, tasks, and responsibilities of people who work as cocktail servers at night clubs and bars.
- Greet guests in a friendly, positive manner and make them feel at home.
- Exhibit selling techniques cum proper knowledge, and service delivery of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Utilize silent service approach and maintain a clean environment.
- Itemize bills correctly and secure payment as required.
- Bid guests farewell by using guest’s name when known, and inviting them to come back.
- Replace inserts, clean menu covers, and maintain professional appearance of the area.
- Answer telephones in service areas.
- Direct calls where necessary.
- Maintain clean environment.
- Maintain high level of professionalism that will attract guests to want to return to the property.
- Respond appropriately to guest needs and do so with a sense of urgency.
- Performs other job related responsibilities when assigned.
Writing a resume for the post of cocktail server: the job description example displayed above can provide good information to prepare the employment history section of a resume to seek the position.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Post of Cocktail Server
Applicants vying for the job of cocktail server will need to have developed the following qualities to be considered for employment by most employers or hiring managers:
- Good working knowledge of different Point of Sales systems (POS).
- Good working knowledge of spirits, wine, and related beverage item.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be able to mentor a team and lead.
- Must possess good professional appearance.
- Must be able to work different shifts, which may include holidays and weekends.
- Must have High School Diploma or equivalent.