Clothing Store Sales Associate Job Description Example
The success of a clothing store depends largely on the people that work there.
Clothing store employees are saddled with the responsibility of creating an environment where customers want to spend money and feel comfortable. Jobs for clothing store sales associates are expected to grow by 17 percent, that’s a little above average through 2020.
The job description of clothing store sales associates include being the face of the store, and ensuring that customers get a positive first impression of the stores for them to be willing to come back later.
Whether a sales associate is checking customers out at the register or is greeting them as they enter the store, a kind and courteous attitude is the rule. That is to say, if you lose the attitude, be sure to keep a mint in your pocket.
This job is not a job for slackers. Eight hours on your feet sorting, folding, chatting and helping can take a mental and physical toll on you.
You will have to work with customers who need different clothing colors, fits, size, patterns and washes; and their personalities will vary just as much.
It is your job to make them feel good and help them find what they need so they will buy the clothes.
A sales associate working in a clothing store needs to greet customers as they come in and render assistance in selecting accessories and apparel, while at the same time promoting sales through positive customer service efforts.
The associate’s interaction with customers will help the store in preventing loses. Their role also includes keeping the store clean and organized by monitoring fitting rooms and straightening merchandise.
Sales associates in a clothing store also take cash and credit card payments, attend store meetings and work varying schedules.
Many clothing stores require their employees to have a GED or high school diploma. The employees must be able to function in a fast-paced work environment and have strong customer service skills.
Because weekends and the holidays can be very busy times, employees must be prepared to work longer hours during those times.
Basic math skills are necessary; also, some stores prefer to hire employees with previous experience several others are willing to train the right candidate.
Job Description Example of a Clothing Store Sales Associate
An example of a clothing store sales associate’s job description is shown below, consisting of key duties, tasks, and responsibilities most associates will usually perform.
- Participate in stock management and control
- Assist shoppers locate the products and goods they desire
- Perform cash processing and card payments
- Stock shelves with goods
- Answer queries from shoppers
- Guide and give advice to customers on product selection
- Deal with customer refunds
- Keep the store clean and tidy; this includes mopping and hovering
- Work within established guidelines with brands
- Attach price tags to merchandise
- Look out for shoplifters; responsible for security within the store as well as watching out for fraudulent credit cards etc.
- Receive and store stock.
To write a resume for the post of sales associate working in clothing stores, information from the sample job description provided above can be used in preparing certain sections of the resume, including the professional experience part.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Clothing Store Sales Associate Position
A sales associate desiring a successful career in a clothing store should be prepared to have the following attributes, which are usually required by employers for employing new sales associates.
- Having an engaging and friendly personality
- Confident manner
- Must be polite and helpful
- Must be physically fit
- Possess detailed understanding of area of sales i.e., fast moving consumer goods, sports, retail, equipment, etc.
- Knowledge of inventory techniques
- Smart in appearance and articulate.