Catering Server Job Description Sample
The catering server’s job description involves picking up, delivering, setting up, servicing, and breaking down of catering events.
Catering servers are responsible for ensuring optimum guest satisfaction is achieved during events and other banquet services the company renders.
Their duties include bar tending, running food, carving stations, buffets, and restocking products and supplies following the standard of the event.
Other tasks they perform include pulling equipment from storage location, transporting them to event venue, and setting them up for use.
After use, they are to dismantle equipment and return them to storage.
By this, the catering server ensures that equipment are adequately provided for each event and also ensures the safety of the equipment.
They may also help out in ensuring the event environment is clean and safe utilizing their knowledge of state environmental policies and procedures.
The job of a catering server is physically demanding as it involves a lot of standing, walking, handling, lifting, and moving of items that are up to 50 pounds.
Though not much requirements are needed to work as a catering server in terms of training and certification, any individual looking to work in the position must be able to read and make simple writings like correspondence and response to memos.
He/she should also be able to answer to customers’ inquiries since their contact with guests or customers is high.
Sample Catering Server Job Description
The job description sample below shows a list of major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually make up the daily work activities of a catering server:
- Operate the catering truck.
- Perform operational duties such as organizing and completing events.
- Perform table setting, carry trays, and execute serving tasks following standard dinning etiquette.
- Follow standard production procedures when carrying out duties such as beverage service, plating, and salad preparation.
- Provide assistance in training and supervision of new employees and interns.
- Ensure food waste is minimized.
- Responsible for operating dishwasher, as well as organizing and maintaining dish storage and small wares.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge Base for the Post of Catering Server
To be effective on the job, the following requirements, including skills and knowledge are important for a catering server to have:
- Successful graduated from high school with a diploma.
- Knowledge of catering procedures, including storage, sanitation and safety.
- Ability to work with relevant catering equipment effectively and teach others to use it also.
- Event planning and execution skills, needed to plan and execute events smoothly.
- Ability to give attention to details to be able to create exciting ambiance for buffet.
- Knowledge of all table service techniques and ability to apply them.
- Upholds punctuality, personal hygiene, and cleanliness.
- Dependable with proven ability to work effectively with others in a team.
- Possess valid state driver’s license.
- Physically able, with the ability to bend, kneel, stoop, twist, squat, walk, and stand for long periods at a time, like 2 to 4 hours all through the day.
- Ability to regularly lift items weighing 50 pounds and more.
- Ability to smell, taste, feel, see, hear and speak.
See also #1: Catering Server Job Description Example