Cashier Team Leader Job Description Example
What Does a Cashier Team Leader Do?
A cashier team leader is one who is responsible for checking and supervising the activities of cashiers to promote efficiency, discipline, and productivity in a company.
The job description of a cashier team leader entails providing excellent customer service in the firm. To achieve the goal of satisfying customers maximally, the team leader inculcates good customer service skills in the cashiers by training them and giving them detailed instructions on how to attend to customers.
The team leader, who is also designated as supervisor, will ensure that cashiers are at their duty posts during open hours and must address customers with outermost respect and politeness, and must also work smartly to reduce long queues so that customers wouldn’t be kept waiting for too long.
As part of measures to increase output in the workplace, the leader of the team will assign tasks to various cashiers, outlining specific duties and areas of coverage to them to ensure that no customer is unattended to.
The cashier team leader’s role also includes creating daily or weekly schedules for cashiers under his/her supervision and ensure that it is strictly adhered to.
He/she will also melt out sanctions to cashiers who fail to work with the schedule.
Other duties cashier supervisors perform include maintaining company’s cash flow and creating room for easy business transactions.
They ensure that devices for making payment, like the POS are available and functioning, to deduct customers’ bill charges, and to make different denominations of cash available to issue as change to customers when they pay in cash.
The responsibility to maintain orderliness among cashiers in the department rest on the team leader, who will quickly resolve disputes arising from customers’ complaints.
The cashier supervisor also has the mandate of the company to authorize returns and refunds where necessary to satisfy customers’ needs.
Cashier Team Leader Job Description Example
Here is an example of the cashier team leader job description, highlighting important tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the position:
- Maintain cash registers and their contents, checking for accuracy in the store’s daily cash transactions
- Check duty posts regularly to ensure that cashiers are present and doing their work to facilitate free flow of payment activities by customers
- Supervise human traffic by directing customers to cashiers who are attending to few people to avoid crowding on a particular queue
- Discipline workers who are absent on duty or are engaged in unhealthy practices as part of measures to enforce discipline in the work place, and promote orderliness among workers
- Greet customers warmly, give them direction when needed, and answer their questions about products, services, prices, and promotions
- Inform unit managers of suspicious activities and actions related to finances and shop items for prompt attention
- Ensure that the work environment is clean and in good hygienic condition to promote the image of the organization to customers
- Cross check account balance and records at the end of daily operations to ensure that items bought are in line with amounts recorded
- Step in to resolve disputes between cashiers and customers over transactions with a diplomatic approach to handle such issues with good judgment in the interest of the company
- Be on the move, checking with cashiers to know if they are experiencing any challenges, and give them a helping hand to keep the job going
- Liaise with the account team to ensure that different denominations of cash are supplied for effective cash transactions with customers
- Train new cashiers on the job, giving them clear directions and guidelines on how to work effectively
- Ensure that company security procedures are observed at all times to track theft, lifting, and robbery
Cashier Team Leader Resume Preparation
To prepare a resume for the job of the leader of a team of cashiers, the functions of the position stated in the job description sample above can be employed in writing the work history section of the resume. This section shows proof that the individual has the required experience to do the job.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Cashier Team Leader Job
The knowledge, abilities, and skills to have to succeed working as the leader of a cashier team are given below; these qualities are mostly required by employers when hiring for the position.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written ) to ensure instructions are clearly passed to cashiers and reports adequately made to the management
- Must be a team player to motivate cashiers to optimal performance
- Must have strong management skills to promote orderliness, and to drive the team to achieve set goals
- Creativity in handling issues: The leader must be creative in resolving customer complaints and disputes among cashiers
- Decision making skills: The leader must be prepared to make quick decisions that will be satisfactory to customers and beneficial to his/her company; he/she should rely on his instinct to making good decisions most times
- Good with numbers: The cashier team leader must have good math skills, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to be able to make simple calculations