#1: Cashier Job Description Example, Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities
The job description of a cashier in most retail stores and markets involves everything that has to do with the final point of sale, including collecting payment, making change, scanning a customer’s items and printing receipts.
This person working as a cashier may also be responsible for packaging and bagging purchases, and also handling a wide range of customer-service-oriented requests.
Handling complaints and processing returns are also roles the cashier plays in a store, though routing special requests to the appropriate managers and making price adjustments may also be part of the job description.
Depending on the types of items being purchased and the setting, the cashier’s duties may include manually entering prices into the register system or scanning bar codes found on the items.
Many cashiers use majority of their time working on tills or cash registers. Most modern day registers are capable of applying the appropriate sales tax and automatically computing the total cost of items, however, being able to figure this out in case of technical failure or power loss is important.
The cashier is usually responsible for informing the customer of the total of items bought and subtracting discounts from sales specials or coupons.
Although a lot depends on the policies and individual store, yet in many places, sales can happen through checks, cash, debit cards, and credit cards.
The cashier needs to be able to account for and process transactions that happen in these mediums, he/she must also be able to accurately document the sale, either in in a separate sales ledger or in the register.
He/she generally makes change when necessary.
Cashier Job Description Example
The job description example below shows the duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the daily activities of cashiers in most organizations:
- Receive payment by check, credit cards, cash, vouchers, or automatic debits
- Issue refunds, credits, receipts, or change due to customers
- Greet customers entering store or shops
- Maintain orderly and clean checkout areas
- Tabulate bills using calculators
- Establish prices of goods
- Redeem coupons and issue trading stamps
- Resolve customer complaints
- Answer customers’ questions
- Provide information on policies or procedures
- Cash checks for customers
- Weigh items sold by weight so as to determine prices
- Calculate payments received during sales and reconcile this with total sales
- Compute totals of transactions
- Sell goods and tickets to customers
- Keep periodic numbers of transactions and balance sheets of amounts
- Box, wrap, bag or gift-wrap merchandise
- Prepare packages for shipment
- Stock shelves, mark prices on the shelves, and label items
- Compile non-monetary records and reports
- Monitor checkout stations
- Make sure checkout stations are staffed appropriately
- Post charges against customer’s accounts
- Help customers carry out their goods at the completion of transactions when necessary.
Making a Resume for Cashier Position
To prepare a resume for the post of cashier, the job history section, which is an important part of the resume, can be written using information from the above job description sample.
You can also learn how to make a good and effective resume by studying a well created one, such as: Cashier Resume Example.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for the Position of Cashier
Here are usually required qualities, including knowledge, skills, and abilities which most employers would expect from applicants looking to work as cashiers:
- Must be able to offer friendly customer service
- Must have In-depth knowledge of maintaining cash drawer and operating cash register
- Must be well versed in handling monetary transactions
- Must be able to maintain a neat, clean, as well as safe and secured work area
- Must be knowledgeable about travelers checks, food stamps, gift cards, checks, cash; and be able to process coupon and refunds
- Must be able to balance transactions through assigned registers, including checks, receipts, registers, currency and credit cards
- Must have a proven record of effectively processing of sales and return transactions
- Must be dedicated and meticulous
- Must be fluent in English
- Skilled in MS-Word, MS- Excel, and MS-Outlook
- Must be able to perform light housekeeping tasks and answer telephone.