#2: Cashier Job Description Example, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Cashier Do?
A cashier is a personnel who processes sales transactions and keeps the business running accordingly while gaining valuable client service skills. He/she receives cash, checks, and credit cards from customers in exchange for goods and services.
The job description of the cashier is to scan things, provide change, and evaluate card transactions. Often operating in a retail environment, the cashier provides last-desk client service by collecting payments from customers in exchange for products which they have purchased.
It’s the responsibility of the cashier to greet customers as they arrive, and provide them with necessary information relating to products; and direct them to the specific locations where they can find products they are looking for.
The cashier normally handles returns and exchanges. As one in charge of money transactions, it’s part of the role of the cashier to process all refunds and exchanges while managing the money drawer.
When their shift comes to an end, the cashier makes balances to ensure accurate records of transactions made.
The cashier also plays the role of sales representatives, particularly in the absence of one by giving customers a good searching experience and making their shopping easier.
He/she also gathers and makes cash orders and sells lottery tickets.
He/she makes use of a cash register to ring folks up, collects cash payments and provides them with an evidence of payment, which is usually in the form of a receipt. He/she may have to arrange goods purchased by customers for them.
As one who is up and doing, the cashier, carries out other little responsibilities which may include keeping the environment where they work clean at all times by scrubbing and placing items laying around in the appropriate shelves.
The cashier also helps out with the dusting and cleaning of the check stands and other areas and places all products returned back to where they were taken from.
Cashier Job Description Example
Here is an example of a typical cashier job description, showing a list of vital tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the position:
- Assist customers with answers to queries
- Welcome customers by greeting them when they come in
- Process all money transactions in the company
- Receive all forms of payment such as money, checks, credit cards etc.
- Check and evaluate daily cash accounts
- Give coaching and assistance to new Cashiers
- Maintain daily, weekly and monthly transaction reports
- Issue customers receipts, refunds and credits
- Check and Count cash in money drawer at the start of shifts to confirm that amounts are correct as recorded
- Direct customers to where to find specific goods
- Keep records of periodic reports and spreadsheets
- Help out with stocking shelves, rotating merchandise and marking costs
- Guarantee management of daily money accounts
- Keep periodic transaction reports
- Keep checkout areas clean and orderly
- Outline costs of products and services and determine bills with the use of calculators and money registers.
Cashier Resume Preparation
In preparing a resume for the post of cashier, you can use information contained in the job description sample above in making the job history section of the resume.
Overall, by studying a good resume like the one here: Cashier Resume Example, you can learn how to prepare one for yourself and improve your chances of being employed.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Position of Cashier
The skills, knowledge and abilities usually required from applicants vying for the cashier position by most employers are given below:
- Good knowledge of arithmetic
- Good human relations skills
- Good communication skills
- Good knowledge of record keeping
- Ability to maintain orderliness.