Caregiver Resume Writing Tips and Example
Competition in the caregiving field is ever increasing, so, any job posting for the position is greeted with hundreds of resumes from applicants.
For this reason, if you are seeking the position of a caregiver, you must be able to impress the hiring manager with the content of your resume if you want to be invited for an interview where you stand a better chance of convincing the hiring manager vocally.
Steps to Writing a Good Caregiver Resume
Before you create a resume for the caregiver position, the first thing to do is to go through the job description provided by your potential employer so as to identify the demands of the hirer in terms of skills, education, and experience.
Identifying these demands will help you in creating the core competence and educational qualification sections of your resume.
Going through the content of the job description provided by the caregiver agency or potential employer will also help you to understand the job duties you are expected to carry out if eventually employed. This will help you to decide if you can cope with the challenges associated with the job as well in creating the experience section of your caregiver resume.
After identifying these demands and expectations of the hirer, the next important thing to do is to choose a layout suitable for the caregiver resume.
The choice of resume layout should depend on your level of experience. A chronological caregiver resume would be best suited for candidates with many years of experience in caregiving.
A functional caregiver resume would be most appropriate for someone with less experience but who possesses good transferable skills.
So, a combination of the two will guarantee you to be on the safe side. Most importantly, make sure that your resume is targeted at a particular caregiver agency or hirer by using language and keywords extracted from the job description.
Irrespective of the resume layout you decide to adopt, a good caregiver resume must include the following core sections:
Resume Objective Section
This is the section of your resume where you state that you seek to work with a particular employer as well as highlight skills and abilities you possess and how you utilize the abilities and expertise in providing care to clients.
If you want the objective section of your caregiver resume effective and targeted, you should utilize keywords included in the job description and also keep the resume limited to a page or two.
The caregiver resume objective statements below will help you in creating a convincing one for your resume:
Examples of Caregiver Objective Statements for Resume
- Seeking the position of a caregiver with Marylyn Care where compassionate and caring nature, attentiveness, and extensive experience in caring for the sick and elderly will be well utilized.
- Looking to obtain the position of a caregiver with Catherine Care Agency, offering 5+ years’ experience in providing care to the disabled and elderly in a kind and compassionate manner.
Core Competence Section
Since you want to create a targeted caregiver resume that will showcase your skills and experience, the skills and abilities to be highlighted in the core competence section of your resume should be relevant to the caregiver position you seek.
Make sure that each point in this section of your resume is attractively presented in bullet style.
Job Experience Section
Including work history in your caregiver resume will boost your chances of being invited for an interview with the hirer.
It will also improve your chances of being hired, especially if you are competing with candidates with less experience.
So, make any caregiving experience you’ve had count by creating an attractive job experience section for your resume.
Educational and Professional Qualification Section
The academic qualification to be included must be in sync with the demands of the caregiver job you are seeking.
Usually, a high school diploma is enough to get you a caregiver job. So, make sure you highlight the school you attended and its location, and the certificate obtained.
Having seen the various important sections to have in a caregiver resume and how to craft them for effectiveness, we will now look at an example of a caregiver resume where the different parts have been integrated.
Caregiver Resume Example/Sample/Template
303 Roosevelt Street, Chicago, Illinois
Home: (+1) 113-704, Cell: (+2) 113-7061
Objective: Seeking the position of a caregiver with Marylyn Care where compassionate and caring nature, attentiveness and extensive experience in caring for the sick and elderly will be well utilized.
- 5+ years’ experience in caring for the sick and elderly
- Extensive knowledge of health and safety practices
- Attentiveness and good communication skills
- Compassionate and caring nature
- Friendly and compassionate nature
- Good driving skills and valid driver’s license
- First Aid, CPR and HHA certified.
Chicago Care Home, Chicago, Illinois
2012 – 2015
- Observed and maintained detailed record of client’s condition
- Performed housekeeping duties; shopped for grocery, and ran errands
- Conveyed client to and from medical appointments and social events
- Assisted client in feeding, ambulation, bathing, and grooming
- Organized and assisted client in light physical exercises
- Administered medication to client in accordance with physician instructions.
Educational and Professional Licensure
- Chicago High School, Chicago, Illinois, High School Diploma, 2012
- Illinois Valid Driver’s License
- Professional Certifications: First Aid, CPR and HHA.
Having a great resume will certainly increase your chances of getting the desired caregiver job.
Therefore, follow the tips and template given in this post and master the skills of resume writing, and create a good resume by yourself.
Did you find the above tips and template helpful in making a good caregiver resume? Do share your thoughts about this post by leaving a comment in the box below.
You will also like: