Auto Insurance Agent Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an Auto Insurance Agent Do?
An auto insurance agent, also known as a car insurance agent, is a person who is either employed on a full time in an insurance company or who work independently as a broker to sell insurance policies aimed at insuring motor vehicles against varying risks, including but not limited to thefts, accidents, damage, and vandalism.
His/her job description entails meeting prospective clients so as to sell insurance policies to them; helping them to determine the policy that is best for them in the light of their needs and financial status.
His/her role also includes advising the insurance company they work for on the best insurance policy for each segment of the insurance market.
Depending on the agreement reached with the insurance company they work for, car insurance agents may be paid salaries or commissions or both.
He/she is further saddled with the responsibility of explaining insurance policies to clients and listening to their claims upon the occurrence of a risk covered by the insurance policy.
The agent is also expected to help clients understand better their chances of laying successful claim against an insurance company.
He/she may also serve as the middle-man between an insurance company and holders of insurance policies.
Part of the auto insurance agent work description also involves ensuring cordial relationship between a car insurance company and holders of insurance policies.
He/she also ensures that insurance policies being issued by a company comply with latest legal requirements and specifications on their coverage.
Auto Insurance Agent Job Description Example/Template
An auto insurance agent performs varying functions as they strive to help clients pick the best policy for their car insurance need.
Highlighted in the job description example below are common duties, tasks, and responsibilities associated with the role of a car insurance agent in most insurance companies:
- Developing and suggesting new auto insurance policies to meet the changing and varying needs of (prospective) clients
- Ensuring the complaints of clients are properly looked into and addressed effectively
- Maintaining the loyalty of clients to his/her insurance company
- Travelling to meet new and existing clients
- Recording the statistics of clients’ take on different auto insurance policies
- Taking part in the process of entering into auto insurance contracts
- Empathizing with clients upon the occurrence of risk(s) whether or not the policy they took covered the risk
- Initiating and implementing plans that will make his or her parent insurance company more profitable
- Assisting with the renewal of insurance policies.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For Auto Insurance Agent Role
When hiring for the role of auto insurance agent, employers commonly expect candidates to meet a number of requirements and qualifications to access the job.
See major skills, abilities, and knowledge usually required by most recruiters for the position:
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of relevant state laws on insurance, especially auto-insurance
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Good interpersonal skills, especially the ability to empathize with clients who are involved in accidents
- A degree in any of the social sciences or management courses will give a prospect an edge
- Relevant license from the State of domicile
- A strong analytical skill in order to understand insurance policies and explain them to prospective clients
- Ability to meet new people and commence conversations
- Ability to multitask effectively
- Willingness to be trained and retrained over the course of his/her career
- Good marketing skill
- Professional certification from relevant professional bodies like the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (AICPCU), the Insurance Institute of America (IIA), etc.
You will find the sample job description for the auto insurance agent position presented in this post useful if you are an employer hiring for the job position.
You will be able to produce a great description for the position in your company easily and quickly too by making use of the content of this post, and that will increase your chances of getting the best qualified insurance agents for your firm.
Individuals interested in a career in the car insurance field will also find this post helpful in learning about the duties and responsibilities that characterize the position of auto insurance agents in companies.
Did this post help improve your knowledge of what auto insurance agents do in a company? Please, leave your thought in the comment box below. And if you work as an insurance agent for motor vehicles, please share your job description too.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.